Alpha textures and transparency?

Hi,
I’m trying to texture a cherry. I noticed cherries aren’t perfectly red, but have small green “freckles”, which are less specular than the rest of the cherry. So I colored the freckles of a banana texture green (I didn’t have much choice; my own camera stinks), removed the yellow background, and saved it as a transparent PNG. Then I clicked UseAlpha in the texture window in Blender. Now those freckles have the same degree of specularity as the rest. How can I change this?
I already tried clicking the Spec button in the MapTo tab, but most of those buttons seem to ignore the transparency, and change the whole material.
Help please? :frowning:

you have to make another texture channel, with a spec map that you can make from your spot texture. make the non specular parts black, and the specular parts gray. if it’s not quite right, simply darken, lighten, or adjust the contrast/brightness within blender. set that channel to spec only. you can also adjust the ‘var’ slider for that channel.

Thanks!
So gray means neutral (transparent), black means less, and white means more?

What Modron is referring to is the non-obvious fact that a material can have more than one texture at the same time. In addition, each channel can influence many things: color, “bumps,” normals, specularity, alpha (transparency), and more … or any combination of the above, simultaneously!

When a texture influences anything, “darker” means “more” and “lighter” means “less.” So if you have a texture that’s made from a bitmap, and it influences alpha, then the darker the bitmap is, the more alpha there is (more opaque).

I would only bother with the multiple-textures on a close-up shot of the cherries. You can really soak up computer time this way, but the effects are marvelous.