Alpha Trees - Render massive forests, fast

Hey guys, it’s been a while :sweat_smile:. I’ve been really busy over the past few months (exams, work, etc.) and so I haven’t had a lot of time to work on the addon. However, I have now got the geometry nodes version to a barebones working state, and I will hopefully be able to release it relatively soon :crossed_fingers:.

Some of the new features are:

• Wind animation with a single button
  • Camera tracking with automatic, realtime camera clipping (Thank’s to @Gemn for letting me use his amazing clipping node!)
  • The ability to animate any property in the UI (previously only a few would work)
  • The ability to ‘pin’ an object, so its biomes wont disapear when you click on another object
  • You can now set the spacing between trees, makes it easy to create plantations.
  • A new and improved copying system.

+ All of the old features (though I still need to port some over)

Here’s a quick demo of the new addon in action:
https://gfycat.com/excellentoddballcrab

Some of the things I still want to add are:

• An improved realtime way to edit the distibution/scale of trees
  • That’s gonna take a while as it’s quite complex ^

A while ago, I also decided to enter the recent Alternate Realities challenge by the Pwnisher, and I used this new version for the trees in the background:

It was great to give it a test on a real project, and I was really impressed by how fast it was with geometry nodes. I made a post which goes into a bit more detail here:

Lastly, if you have any features that you think would work well in the new version of the addon, now is the time to suggest them as this is when it would be easiest to add them!

8 Likes