Alpha Trees - Render massive forests, fast

Alpha Trees 2.0 has been released!

Alpha Trees header

It’s taken quite a lot longer than expected, but I think it was worth it to complete the update with all features.

Improvements:

• Moved entire system to geometry nodes for Blender 3.0.
  • Added 133 new trees, increasing the total amount from 15 to 148!
  • Added a powerful system for controlling distribution using layers.
  • Icons now load instantly instead of taking up to 40s for the full library.
  • Icons are now also higher resolution.
  • Added tree search to make it easier to use large libraries.
  • Camera clipping and targeting is now fully automatic.
  • Completely rewrote the documentation.
  • Restructured the entire addon to be easier to develop.
  • Added ability to fade out trees when they get too close to the camera.

+ a lot of bug fixing and head scratching

Trailer:

The price has also now gone up from $35 to $45, but if you get it now, you can use code “alpha20” to get a 20% discount (Only valid till 22 Jan)

It’s been a bit of a marathon, so I’ll be taking a bit of a break from development for a while (Aside from bug fixing etc.), but after that, here are some things I’d like to do in the future (in order of soonest to farthest away):

• Add better support to Weight Layers and mesh it a bit better with Alpha Trees
  • Redo the entire generation system to also use geometry nodes, and some new techniques I’ve thought of for more reliable and higher quality trees.
  • Add support for types of Alpha other than trees (heathenous I know :exploding_head:). Think grass, rocks, clouds/mist, buildings etc.

And of course, thanks to all the people who used the beta and weeded out all the bugs I managed to leave in! @walt1 @marcatore @giacometti777 @Mash3d + others.

7 Likes