Alpha Trees - Render massive forests, fast

Cool thank you. Have you considered creating a second top-down view horizontal plane that intersects the vertical one (so that each tree is comprised of two planes arranged as a plus sign) for just such scenario? It might fool the eye just enough as I have seen a similar type of approach work with things like smoke and fire.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

1 Like

Yeah, I have thought about that, but up until now Iā€™ve been focussing on other things and havenā€™t got round to actually testing it out. I think that itā€™s definitely got potential though, and Iā€™ll need to look into it properly soon!

5 Likes

Canā€™t get it to work sadly :confused:
(Blender 3.0.1 and 3.1.2, Ubuntu, lots of other addons)

I can only ā€œactivateā€ the addon when removing line 246/247 from ā€œicons.pyā€

prev_cache_small: CollectionProperty(type=PreviewCacheItems)
prev_cache_large: CollectionProperty(type=PreviewCacheItems)

Otherwise, it just jumps to an error related to ā€œTreeListItemā€ registration error ā€œprev_cache_smallā€ could not register.
Even then: When trying to add a tree, I get ā€œdefault.pngā€ not found somewhere in biome_ops.py

Am I missing something? Install Addon and Select Folder with the extracted _BIG

Hi, thatā€™s pretty odd, it sounds like a problem that occured here:

If possible, could you try adding the changes shown in that post, and see if that helps? I donā€™t have a good way of testing on Linux, so I canā€™t really try this out myself :frowning:

If not, I can try making the changes myself, and Iā€™ll send you the file.

Thanks!

ok, maybe I should have read a few posts back first :slight_smile: I can confirm that solves that on my case too. Thanks

1 Like

Ah, thatā€™s good to know. I think that if this is a problem on Ubuntu, I should probably just add it to the addon officially, and hope it doesnā€™t break it for other people :sweat_smile:
Thanks for reporting this, though, itā€™s good to know that itā€™s not just an isolated case.

Ok, Iā€™ve just published an updated introduction video for Alpha Trees! The old one was quite out of date with all the new updates, so I decided to redo it with a new and improved version:

Itā€™s taken a surprisingly long time to make, but I think itā€™s definitely worth it in the end, and itā€™s got a lot more content compared to the previous one.

Iā€™m still just learning video creation, though, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
Hope you like it!

6 Likes

Hey, I just bought this earlier today, and Iā€™m loving it so far. Iā€™ve already baked out a couple of trees to use.

One thing I thought was a little lacking was the internal shading within a canopy. Adjusting the normal strength gives a nice impression of such from a distance, but it doesnā€™t work so well for medium length trees.

so I decided to experiment with a generic AO, bake it out, then mix it with the leaf and trunk diffuses. Itā€™s not 100% exactly like the original tree, but it does look decent, and gives some extra parameters to play around with to make your trees look that much better.

This is what it looks like straight from the source.

This is the AOā€™ed results.

And the tinkered with shader tree.

6 Likes

Nice work, this is a big improvement (over something already incredible!)

3 Likes

Well, itā€™s a little addition that can make for some nicer results.

One thing I forgot to add is that I did use a giant curved stage to get some decent light bounce across the tree. I dunno how good itā€™d look doing a straight up bake off a free floating tree.

3 Likes

Oh, woah, that looks great! I have experimented with using an ambient occlusion pass in the past, but I never got very good results and ended up moving on to other things.

As it happens, the next thing on my to-do list is to overhaul the baking process, and updating it to use an ambient occlusion pass like this would certainly be a big improvement!

Just one thing, Iā€™m not particularly familiar with this kind of thing, so Iā€™m not quite sure what purpose having a curved stage has on the final result? Did you just use an ambient occlusion node, or some other method? Thanks!

The only thing is that Iā€™m away from my computer for about a month, so Iā€™m not going to be able to do any experiments till then :frowning:

Still, great job, and thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Itā€™s to give the light paths something to bounce off of, the end result of which is a more diffused ambient occlusion bake.

For exampleā€¦

With the stage:

Without the stage:

Though now that Iā€™ve played around with it a bit, Iā€™m thinking that the no stage bake is the better of the two, since it concentrates the shadows where theyā€™re most likely to be occluded, leaving everything else relatively untouched.

edit: and hereā€™s the end result of a no stage bake. It does look a lot better.

5 Likes

Oh, right, that makes a lot of sense!
Itā€™s very annoying not being able to play about with this right now, but when I get back, I think this is definitely something that should be in the official addon!

2 Likes

Hi, is this working with 3.2?

Hi, yes, it is working in 3.2, but you will have to download the latest version (2.1.7 I think), otherwise some things wonā€™t function correctly.

Hi, it seems that in Scatter5.2 there is a problem with transparency, I get the rendering of the black forest, any ideas?

Uploading: image.pngā€¦

Have you tried to increase your transparency light bounces?

1 Like

Really appreciate itļ¼everything is back to normal when transparent=32 ļ¼

1 Like

Ah, yeah, thatā€™s a common problem when scattering the trees without using the Alpha Trees add-on.

The transparency bounces are automatically increased when you do use the Alpha Trees scattering, but the rest of the time it is just left at the default.

1 Like

sorry im got this error
add particle plus button this code
help me

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œC:\Users\saach\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\alpha_trees_pro-2_1_7\operators\biome_ops.pyā€, line 192, in execute
obj.at.new_biome_slot(context)
File ā€œC:\Users\saach\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\alpha_trees_pro-2_1_7\functions\callbacks.pyā€, line 88, in new_biome_slot
links.new(input_node.outputs[0], point_dist_node.inputs[0])
AttributeError: ā€˜NoneTypeā€™ object has no attribute ā€˜outputsā€™