Alpine A110 Berlinette

And its not even a problem you only have with older blueprints. The Audi SQ5 I modeled (but never finished) also had blueprints which were not matching from the different views. And additionally to that, I did the same mistake as you did with your Aston.
I just had a bunch of reference images and realized very soon, that I have no idea what an Audi SQ5 really looks like :slight_smile:

For the Volvo I now collected 136 reference Images. What I found also very useful, especially with older cars, are restauration blogs where you can find close up pictures of the different parts.

That wireframe Image above makes me think about how you approach getting to the basic shape of the car. It looks very dense, like you already have a subdiv modifier applied? Can you tell me briefly about your workflow?
I normally start vertex by vertx tracing the basic shape and then add faces inbetween.
And do you cut out the doors with the boolean operation, and clean the topology up afterwards, or do you plan it in advance?

Sorry for asking so many questions :slight_smile:

Ja servas, ein MĆ¼nchner, ist ja fast um die Ecke. :smiley:

I remember that one. It is just really frustrating to find out how hours of work were just for nothing. Also because there is no real clean way to improve things other than model it from the ground up again. Proportional editing or sculpting just messes everything up again and fiddling with every vertex is even more work than modelling it from new.

136 really is a lot, but it is necessary. My reference pictures folder for the Alpine consists of 32 images right now, though most likely to become more. For the MX-5 I got about 100 pics from the internet and then made about 80 more at the local Mazda dealership :D.

Iā€™m also using some screenshots out of a video about a restauration of a A110 from a channel called ā€œCheral Autoā€ (extremely useful for the underside of the car, you will see my progress there on the next renders). I did also find the blog on the internet, but the problem with that is just the sheer amount of pictures they have taken (a few hundred blog pages). And also, that itā€™s all on french, so I have absolutely no idea where to search for the pics I need. Maybe Iā€™ll take the time to search through there one day, but for now the video is good enough :D.

Exactly right. The model I started with looks like that (the changes already included):

I start modelling only with lines that I lay out according to the blueprints to define the shape of the car, like the outer edges of the bodywork or other sharp and defining lines. This way you can already see if the proportions seem to be ok without much work put into it. I will define these lines with quite many vertices already. You can see that technique in my T-rex modeling timelapse on youtube or in my other BA thread. Afterwards, I start to connect the lines and add only so many verts as needed to get a clean topology and no triangles.

Then I put a Subsurf level 1 on it and apply it. The adittional geometry helps with having much more verts to work with when cutting shapes into the bodywork and also helps to keep the areas around it smooth. Without this method I would end up with endless loopcuts around the edges to try to have some sort of smooth transition from one bodypanel to another. This way Blender does the job for me. On this stage I also add the smaller details on the bodywork, like the secondary headlamps or those ā€œspikesā€ that the bumpers are bolted on.

As you can see on the windscreen, I do already model in the edge loop for certain panel gaps, like also for the door, the bonnet and the trunk. This way I only have to clean up the shape of them a little bit, because the modifier tends to distort it so some extent. But thatā€™s no big deal normally.

I used this technique on my MX-5 the first time, as you may be able to make out from the wireframes in my finished projects thread. Before that I just worked on one level of Subsurf, wich was fine then (on my Huracan for example). But this method worked a lot better for me, so I stuck with that. The obvious disadvantage is that, if I wanted to change the shape of the bodywork, I always have to go back to the low poly model, change it there, copy the object, apply the Subsurf, cut out everything i donā€™t need, cut out the parts on the high poly model, join the two objects and connecting them again, sometimes even having to redo the cuts. That is tedious, especially when you have to do it multiple times, because you found out that the underbody of the car looked totally different from what you thought it did or you changed your mind with what bodyshape you wanted to do :o.

Not exactly briefly, but I hope it gave you a bit of inspiration.

No problem, ask as many as you like.

Hab grad erst angefangen zu verstehen, was man so alles auf dem Forum machen kann. Wie man die Signatur oder den Avatar einstellt oder dass man auch den Ort dazuschreiben kann :D. Deshalb hab ich auch erst seit ein paar Tagen einen Avatar. Erst dann hab ich gemerkt, dass bei den meisten ja was dabeisteht und dass ziemlich viele hier aus dem deutschsprachigen Raum stammen. Also hallo an euch alle :).

New renders coming soon!

Hey there,

sheā€™s finally standing on some wheels! I modelled the underside of the fiberglass bodywork, the rims, some temporary tyres and gave it the third pair of headlights in the front. Also, I made an emblem. This is how she looks:

also with a bit of a different light situation. The wheels look a bit small, I may have to have a look at that. I hope you like the progress. Thereā€™s still a lot of small details to model on the bodywork, those will most likely be next, then some real tyres. Iā€™m really having fun with this one, the design of the A110 just looks so awesomeā€¦

Hey, thanks for taking time and explaining that to me :slight_smile:
that actually sounds very reasonable, I think I will try that for my volvo!

Seeing others approaching certain modeling tasks is so interesting to me, I could study that all day long :smiley:

Your new render is looking great already, are you going to model the interior as well?

ā€”Ja, ich dachte mir das zuletzt als ich robocytes Motorad in feature row oben gesehen habe, mit dem Linzer Kennzeichen, das kam mir bekannt vor^^

:evilgrin:

I will do one but just to fit the car for the exteriour. There is quite a lot of glass to look through into the car, so I canā€™t cheap out too much, but I will not go into detail as much as with my MX-5. I donā€™t want to let this project become too big. Maybe when Iā€™ve got what I wanted to do with the model I will consider doing a detailed interiour aswell. But thatā€™s not the plan for now.

Hey there,

a bit of progress here, a bit of progress there. Iā€™m mostly trying to find things to do before I start doing some chassis components, because they will be quite complicated. I mostly worked on the rear, this is how it looks:

Exhaust is just provisorical until I know which one I want it to represent. There are loads of information on this car, but in some cases just not enough. So I have to guess which exhaust fits best, because as with nearly every other part, there are thousands of different versions. This one you can see here is one that I saw on a reference picture that I found to be the most badass :evilgrin:. The muffler is mounted so far in the rear it literally fully sticks out and the endpipe doesnā€™t turn 90Ā° but comes out to the left side. Or should I go with something more suddle? Iā€™ll have to see how to do the welds and the textures, but I think it will be a fun job.

The mudflaps will be modified, too. They have a weird shape because they will be held in place with a chain to prevent them from going into the tyres.

Weā€™re already at 1.3 GB of memory :eek:, at 1.4 million faces (!). Any idea how to keep the memory usage down (apart from less faces)? Iā€™m really getting myself into trouble. If I keep doing that, I soon wonā€™t be able to render on my GPU anymore (GTX 780, 3GB Ram).

Hope you like it! As always, comments and critique appreciated.