Alt +A

Alt +A in Fecora Core is a pain. Why should I have to do >

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dma

just to get blender Alt +A to work.

What’s the deal with this? Does it do this on all linux versions?

If I take .b’s suggestion,

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dma

put that in your .bashrc … and should work normal.

what is that doing to my system sound configurations?

I don’t have such a variable set and alt-a works fine. My distro is Gentoo, kernel 2.6.11, GeForce 2 Pro GFX.

What happens if you don’t do that?

But setting the SDL soundriver to DMA may be a good idea anyway. I’ll try it and see if some things speed up.

Edit: Oh, I have the variable set to ‘alsa’

Alt +A precipitates an immediate crash. Blender disappears with the dump being

./blender
Using Python version 2.3
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption: 0x08a94378 ***
Aborted

Following .b’s instructions eliminates the problem altogether but I was unsure of the systemic results of such actions.

Well, I guess it just means that SDL uses DMA for audio access…

When I unset the variable BTW, alt-a is much faster. I normally have to wait a second before it begins. Without the var set it starts immediatly

the segphault on alt+a is due to the audio system messing up when attempting to start… if you disable sync, scrub, and possibly audio you shouldn’t get any crashes

the fix in your .bashrc should make it so you can use audio and blender will not crash…

I’m not sure why blender has this issue exactly, but it has had it since the sound features were introduced in 2.28… as noted above some distributions of linux do not have problems with this…

Fedora Core 8) %|

you can put the export in a start script… So just go ./startBlend instead… Then it leaves the sounds for everything else the same.

Delt0r

I’m Lazy 8) I actually tried that using the gui (gnome panel launcher but phfft!)

I think is the same with mandrake 10.1 official

Open AmaroK
Play music
Open Blender
Press ALT+A and…
See this:

[[email protected] blender-2.37a]$ ./blenderstatic
Using Python version 2.3
‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155: (snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
Segmentation fault

I use KDE 3.2

Does the same work around work for Mandrake also?

I’ve just had my first experience of the alt-a issue (following a long-overdue Fedora system update and new Nvidia driver install) and have found this thread.

The dma command prior to launching Blender from the command-line solves the problem, but the bashrc file is completely alien to me! How do I add the command to the Gnome application launcher shortcut button?

(apologies for Linux ignorance)

What do you know, an old topic reply notification mail in my inbox…

Martin, If you want to set the variable from the app launcher, you can edit the command it executes so that it reads “export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dma && <original command>”, without the quotes of course.

But, editting .bashrc is not difficult at all. Just open it, add the line to the bottom, and you should be done. That’s assuming the login procedure on your system works OK, and reads .bashrc. With graphical login, such things go wrong sometimes…

Thank-you, that seems to have done the trick! Happy new year!

Glad I could still be of help, even after two weeks…

Happy new year to you too, of course :slight_smile: