Alternative to the Mac System Console?

Checking for Python errors on a Mac is difficult, only because of the sporadic nature of Mac’s console. For the Windows version of Blender, there’s an option to toggle the System Console. Obviously, Mac users don’t have this option.

As an alternative, Mac owners need to go to Applications>Utilities>Console. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work as well as the Windows system console. The Mac console sporadically decides whether or not to display messages from Blender, with no logical reason as to why. This makes it really difficult to check for errors, because they aren’t displayed most of the time.

When messages are displayed, it screws up the formatting. For example, here’s an error from my current game project as it would be displayed on the Windows console:

Python script error - object 'CamTrack', controller 'Python':
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "CursorControl", line 8, in <module>
IndexError: list index out of range

##This repeats for every logic tick

…and here’s how the Mac console screws it up:

##this repeats hundreds of times

##Also repeated hundreds of times

This gets really irritating, as I have to scroll through hundreds of lines of console messages just to see what the error actually is.

So, is there some kind of alternative program I can download to display error messages on a Mac? Also, if there’s one that has a “Window Always on Top” feature, that would be awesome.

Actually, you can just launch Blender from it’s shell application.
Open the context menu for the blender program (right click blender.app) and select Show package contents.
Traverse the folders - MacOS and Blender or something, until you see a shell app. Open that app and it launches the programme with a console instance.

Awesome, thanks for the help, agoose. :smiley: