Am I the only one?

And i still know some former students who stuck to the pre 2.5 UI - crazy …

Quoting myself: “…somewhat big changes”. If adding a new rendering engine (EEVEE), revamping the layers system, etc. aren’t somewhat big changes, I don’t know what is.

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part, but my point was that if you don’t take risks you’ll never improve enough to make a difference. Carry on.

1 Like

Well yes and no - the new collection took me one look at the Wiki to understand how it works. eeVee yes thats a nice new step forward too but it does not 100% change Blender.

And yes I agree good risks are taken here because I am very sure that the end result will be perfect.

But I think you are more making a comment about needed improvements/evolutions - Richard was more talking about radical changes.

Sure. Nothing wrong with that. Definitely. Not sue why I was commenting on that. I guess it is because I have this idea that when people are completely inept at something they don’t know how to properly manage change over time.

And that is perhaps another subject.

And I was talking about mostly looking at a mountain of change - that needs to happen - and not understanding it has to come one truck load at a time. That is a lot of trucks and a lot of dirt, money, sweat and effort.

So far, in my testing the latest 2.8 alpha builds, I am loving the new collections. Proper layering at last. That objects can be part of multiple collections is icing on the cake. It blows the old layer system out of the water.

The old layer system was the one thorn in my eye - the second thorn being that it is not possible to define your own custom tool sets and hide/display tools and (parts of) panels and save that in a workspace.

I went from:
Blender 2.4ish to 2.78 or whatever.
Blender internal to Cycles.
Windows XP to Mac OSX Lion, then back to Windows 7
Moho to Adobe Flash.
Shooting a longbow arrow-outside to arrow-inside.
left handed to Right handed.(very early age)

And I periodically completely re-evaluate my political, religious, and academic beliefs from the ground up.

As o’l Charlie Darwin said:
“it is not the strong which survive, but the ones most responsive to change”