Amazing photresizing

This would be awesome. One could resize parts or all of the image with little or no distortion or artifacts. Pretty cool. I’ve never seen anything like this before.

Video

Ah, yes…I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Someone even wrote a Python version or it.

WOw! Do you smell a Blender/Gimp script? I hope that’s what I smell…I thought I just did laundry:spin::smiley:

There is a gimp plugin.

Sweat! But I still see some artifacts…

Very cool. Here’s an implementation for Windows and Linux:

http://www.thegedanken.com/retarget/

The link was a bit flakey so you may have to refresh.

Even with artifacts, I’m sure a quick heal brush would sort a lot of that out. It’s all about making the workflow quicker and this would be a great help.

There are problems, large diagonals seem to have an issue.

Where is the download for the GIMP plugin?

This is a nice idea, however, when I was trying to increase my Dragon’s moon image to 2000x2000 pixels, I notice that when it completed, the smooth curve of the moon against the sky and the curves of the Dragon got wobbles in them.

I hope they fix the curve preservation problem on image enlarging, that would be great.

Its not meant to make pictures larger, but retain the size of the foreground while resizing the background while making an image smaller. Also used so that when you scale an image disproportional to the original, it doesn’t squish the object of the photo.

By the way, I found where you can download the Gimp plug-in. I’ve also found that the Gimp plug-in works better than the proprietary program.

Then what do you call this?

support for shrinking or enlarging images

If they find a way to preserve the smoothness of curves I’ll find good use for it, one way would be to use an edge detection filter, make a virtual vector curve and try to keep the pixels aligned with the virtual curve. Or you can have the curves manually set by the user.

Well, it enlarges noisy images like photos of landscapes very well, but nothing with anything smooth in it. So, anything that was made in a vector graphics program will probably not resize well.

Wow. I think this is cool. I suck at UV’ing models, but this sounds like it could enable you to quickly adjust your textures and maps for models. Pulling the texture image into place under your UV layer in Gimp. OR even slicing up actual photos and placing them more convincingly.

I’m not talking about vector graphics I mean Blender rendered images with large curves from subsurfing.

You have to resize and keep it in proportion, i’m sure there is a setting somewhere that allows you to do what you want cd.

Good point about the UV texturing dukytyme. :wink:

This looks awesome, haven’t tried it yet, would be cool if I could get hold of a OSX version, they give instructions on how to compile/install it but I’m an artist not a coder. :yes:

Hey, Len. Drop em an email; maybe they could guide you a lil in compiling one for your OS. it would be sweet to see your implementation of liquid resize in your mapping process…with your helpful instructions too;)

Edit: Personally, I cannot even come close to figuring out what does what in the Gimp version. The stand-alone version’s controls are all right there.

Hey dukytyme, luckily I have a pc at home. I played with it a bit over the weekend, if I ever use it for UV mapping I’ll surely show and tell :slight_smile: I’d like to get hold of the stand-alone version, will check the above links again (wasn’t working for me last week).

It’s quite a nifty plug-in:eyebrowlift:

Edit: Dang, I still keep getting a “Gateway Timeout” for the main site http://www.thegedanken.com/retarget/ I’d like to get hold of the latest stand-alone version.

wo! this looks like fun! I can make scenes really spacious or cramped for no very good reason!

the gimp plugin sounds fantastic - but how do I know which file to downlad when I click the link - or how to install a gimp plugin?

Yogyog I used this one for my pc http://registry.gimp.org/file/gimp-lqr-plugin-0.2.1_win32.7z?action=download&id=10384 You’ll need 7-zip to extract it. When I extracted it I just directed it to my gimp “bin” and plugins folder (can’t remember where now) and let it automatically place it in the correct spots. When you extract it normally it creates it’s own folders, and those folders correspond to the folders inside the Gimp 2.0 folder under Program Files. Hope that helps … or sorta gulp.