Amazon makes their game engine open source

You come across so innocent as to what Amazon are, and the difference between them and other companies out there, that I honestly cannot even be bothered to formulate a detailed reply, it would take too long and I think it would be in vein anyway.

I’m not into game making, but if I were, I’d be supporting projects that are open source for the right reasons, I’d be supporting Godot and wouldn’t touch that Amazon stuff if I were paid to do so. It’s highly likely they open-sourced it after realising the ground Godot is making, in an attempt to crush it through starvation by using its power to promote its own “open source” project.

As you can see from the monopolistic games Amazon are known for, this is a favourite tactic of theirs.
Bricks and mortar bookstores are another example of this very tactic. They used their power and influence to put them out of business, and are now opening their own bricks and mortar bookstores - absolutely disgusting.

Amazon also wiped-out copies of Orwell’s 1984 from everyone’s swindle. There’s a reason for that, too, and the only reason there could possibly be for them doing so, should send shivers down your spine!

So have fun with Amazon, rather you than me, I’ll stick to Godot if I need to make games, and I’ll continue to avoid anything and everything that is even remotely connected to Amazon.

If you use some form of service that use cloud computing there is a higher than likely chance they are using AWS in some form or other. Politics aside Amazon services are actually quite good and regardless of how you feel about O3DE being connected to Amazon, them open sourcing the engine and donating it to the Linux Foundation is a good thing.

1 Like

Based on what you write I might come across that way. Today I was at target to get a manual milk frother but they only had some electric options ( most expensive from Bodum) and holes in their shelve.

I know Amazon had it and their practice - but in the end I count spend another 1.5 hours to drive to other stores or buy the 15$ manual frother I know I can get on Amazon while investing 5 minutes.

Amazon destroys like Walmart many smaller competitors - but when it comes to bigger chain stores a lot of blame also goes to the for simply not innovating and being up to date. Look at the fall of bad bath and beyond chain.

@apoclypse has a fair point - you hardly can escape this too.

Amazon in the end gave this engine away for free so I am a little surprised about the problem here . You can use the engine even without Amazon cloud anyway.

This reminds me a little about the explosion surrounding audacity and the company collecting crash data while others call the app Spyware.

Don’t taken my comment as trying to convince -
I would be personally indifferent when using this engine because it is foss and highly customizable now.

Maybe it can also help people who we to learn writing such engine.

32 posts were split to a new topic: A whole bunch of off-topic stuff about Amazon

Could we branch the Amazon prime stuff into its own thread ? This are actually Interesting reads but are not part of the game engine

5 Likes

I am still trying to find out why I am going to be exited about this announcement. And I literally do not care who is behind the tool. Period.

I don’t care if it is Amazon or Google or Apple or Adobe or Autodesk or FaceBook or Bob’s Discount Furniture.

Seriously. Enough already.

I don’t care about either side of the debate. But I think the Amazon is evil point has been made and it would be nice to get back to the topic for us who actually don’t care about that and are interested in the tool. And not have to weed through pages of insurrection rant, just top get to, points about the usefulness of said tool. What it can do, what it can’t. What it means to me… and so on.

2 Likes

So in all of this time, has anyone even installed and given this a shot? Is anyone even interested?

Days ago I was tempted to point out it might not even matter what connection there is to anything.

I don’t even see this as that huge of a deal given the current options already.

I went to the website and personally I was less than impressed.

Anyone have any experience to share?

There was a link I followed previously. I think this is a better one and shows more of what was able to do:

At least there are some decent graphics on that page.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gametech/open-3d-engine/

And the you tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQH55cT_em5E8XU2J8erMKA

I am getting a little more interested now. But regarding Cinematics it does not seem to have advanced much further than CryEngine. Both Unity and Unreal have much better features here.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/cinematics-image-capture.html

Good question. I would be neither surprised if they do or don’t do given that their “Star Engine” is quite a lot removed from CE and Lumberyard by now. They have added a ton of stuff by themself to their engine, I wonder how compatible that is to the derivate new engine Amazon cooked up.
It sure is in their best interest as a game developer to not give their competitors any advantage, but on the flip-side they have become so big, one could say “too big to fail” as a game company. They are still raking in millions, keeping the Guinness World Record for the most crowd funded anything.
That could give them some confidence in being generous, but on the other hand they are quite busy (they just opened another studio in Canada).

1 Like

Star citizen - the most crazy funded project

I am really stunned and impressed what the do and at the same time not fall apart

1 Like

And so… How do you see this Amazon tool stacking up against other open source game tools?

We’re receiving a lot of flags on this topic; I’m locking it until the @moderators had a chance to catch up.

Holy… just wow. There was a lot going on there. I’ve split of about a third of the posts that were in this thread over here. However, since even those posts are kind of all over the place, I’ve decided to leave that thread closed.

You’re welcome to start new threads (or join threads already in progress) on any of the topics that were brought up in those posts. This includes you’re opinions on Amazon as a company, discussions of Blender and open source development, thoughts on the Godot game engine, and the choices of the moderation team on this forum. However, none of those things are really on-topic for this thread. Points about those topics have already been made and there’s no need to revisit them here.

Please limit the discussion here to the O3DE.

I’m re-opening the thread. Please play nice.

4 Likes

Particularly in cars do game engines increasingly find an entrance

The new hummers dashboard interface is such an example

I find it interesting how Epic has actively gone after other industries other than their core one. It’s smart to try to cater to different needs. O3DE could be perfectly positioned to be a great OSS alternative to. A lot of work still needs to be done to the engine though. I’ve played around with Lumberyard for a bit and it still has a lot of CryEngine quirks they need to address.

This has been my impression just trying to sort out what it can do. One of the things lacking with CryEngine was good docs.

That has to be taken into consideration when choosing an Engine for ones game.
CryEngine was build as a FPS engine and that is where it shines. So games that are similar to an FPS shooter, like third person action games are probably not that problematic to create with this engine but complex RPG games or real time strategy is something I would rather avoid to do with it.
I don’t know if people here are aware of the Frostbite engine and the trouble EA and its devs had with this engine. I am making it partly responsible for the fall of Bioware, since they where forced to use the Frostbite engine (like CE an engine developed for FPS games) for their Action Role playing games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Development of these games where are disaster partly because of the engine (but also because of really bad management).
This limitation is also the reason why I argued earlier in this thread that the engine (in its current iteration) is not that much of a threat for Unity (or Godot) since they can deliver games in genres where O3DE is not really great at.

1 Like

yep - and why not the game engines became kinda like a multi media authoring system
like the old macromedia director just in 3D now

actually was it 2014 I was flown to london to work for Nokia on a 3D mesh based animated interface
we used blender for the modeling / animation and the sponsor Intel Mobil was programming the 3d engine to run on a smartphone

for a phone it turned out not to be ideal - but for a car dashboard I think this is super useful