AMD at computex - EPYC, VEGA? etc..

Maybe you won’t have to give up anything after all.

The rumored price for the top-tier 16 core is going to be under 1K (at 849 USD). A bit more pricey than the Ryzen 7 chips, but only half the price for an equivalent 16 core from Intel (and that’s not even the flagship there).

And what about Vega? I mean price and ram on board?

I haven’t seen prices put on Vega at the moment (even the Frontier Edition), keep in mind that we still have very little information about the actual lineup (ie. the mainstream cards) since those cards are still two months out.

understood, will following this thread.

Seen the video of them demoing 4x VEGA’s in ProRender viewport rendering. I was expecting a bit more realtime renders…

Now we’re in wait mode till more VEGA information is released.

As for the 16 core Ryzen.Threadripper. I’m impressed so far, but by motherbaord designs, and how Intel is struggling to respond.

Main question is… if you had money to spend, would you spend it on GPU or CPU?

Depends on the render engine. If it can use both gpu and cpu then I would get both. But with 16 core CPU you are up in speed as the best graphics card out there. Unless you have four of the best graphics cards on your motherboard :slight_smile:

Cant agree to much there bigbad.

I have a dual Xeon workstation giving me 16 core 32 thread. And when it comes to rendering, my Radeon R9 Fury easily outperforms it in the scenes I render.

But I do NOT use particles/simulations of any sorts, just highpoly modeling/rendering.

On average for my scenes I get a 2:1 ration for GPU to CPU frame rendered.

Hmm. Maybe the xeon architecture and low frequency could be a factor why it doesn’t perform faster. Also the RAM is an factor too. Even if you have 16gb memory on gpu it’s still cheaper to buy 64gb system ram. But yeah. Gpu is crazy fast and with two gpu you’ll get crazy fast speeds. Prorender demo showed that it used all the processor power in the computer.

If I had money to spend I would buy the best CPUs and GPUs at the same time :slight_smile:

But in my case updating CPU would also mean having to update motherboard and RAM.
Currently Cycles render most of the features in GPU, so my decision without having unlimited budget would be a fast CPU for processing tasks (not only taking into account multi-thread performance, but also single thread), and two mid range GPUs to render.

Agreed on the low frequency. only 3.4 on all cores, and turbo to 3.8Ghz on two cores. And no way to OC. but again got it cheap so nothing to frown on.

As for mid range GPU’s RX 4/580 is seeing a supply issue. again due to hash rate performance for cryptocurrency… :frowning: Hope this will not have negative availability impact on the VEGA series…

EPYC looks like it will live up to its name

A single chip has up to 32 cores and 64 threads, and can go up to 64 cores and 128 threads on a single setup (two chips connected by the infinity fabric).

Initial benchmarks show that it is capable of smashing Intel’s Xeon platform in the performance department (but I do wonder if like the Xeon platform, this won’t really be the best thing for general 3D work).

Wonder how much the dual CPU setup will be…

Still end of June we’ll know more details on this…

So a nice surprise from Apples announcement.

VEGA, granted these are tweaked for Apples AIO format, so not the full fledged monster but still quite impressive.

From: https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/06/05/most_powerful_imac_pro_evar_5000

Radeon Pro Vega graphics you say!
iMac Pro comes with the new Radeon Pro Vega GPU, the most advanced graphics ever in a Mac. Featuring a new next-generation compute core and up to 16GB of on-package high-bandwidth memory (HBM2), iMac Pro with the Vega GPU delivers up to an amazing 11 Teraflops of single-precision compute power for real-time 3D rendering and immersive, high frame rate VR. And for half-precision computation, ideal for machine learning, iMac Pro delivers up to an incredible 22 Teraflops of performance.

Whatever the perf will be, if you want a VEGA card, you better buy it as soon as it’s on sale, even if only as preorder. All Polaris based cards are sold here in Germany and miners are just waiting for Vega to come out in some weeks to buy the whole stock.
The compute performance of new AMD cards plus the price of cryptocurrency make them very attractive and prices are skyrocketing.

Yeah… It sucks. Hopefully the rumor that AMD and Nvidia are releasing crypto versions of their cards.

But i fully agree with you. Fingers crossed that crypto prices plumit soon

So based on latest information.

Threadripper - Ryzen 9 - June 20
Vega - pro version - June 27
Vega - Gaming - late July

getting excited about Vega and Ripper. Though Vega is higher priority for me. Wonder also how much development will be needed by Blender Devs to get Vega working in Cycles.

AMD only showed their ProRender with Vega, not Cycles…

If OpenCL drivers are working well in Vega, I think it is not necessary Blender developers do anything for it to work in Cycles.

So seems that more dates are being communicated.

Epyc on June 20th
Threadripper in August… :frowning:
Vega in August :frowning:

If anyone else found better dates, please share…

Still VEGA Pro is going to be out for 1400 usd, and water cooled for 1600 usd… fingers crossed for the gaming edition to be far more reasonable…

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11551/amds-future-in-servers-new-7000-series-cpus-launched-and-epyc-analysis

16C for $600 to $1100
24C for $1700 to $2400
32C for somewhat above $2400 to $4000

These are intended for DUAL socket motherboards. The ones intended for SINGLE socket should be cheaper.

This brings me hope of a sub $800 16C ThreadRipper.

The new intel cpu intel i9 7900x 10core is faster than 1080 ti in blender. But the price point of the cpu’s has to be cheaper than 1080 ti to make it interesting. I wonder then how a 16core will render in blender an if gpu is even necessery for rendering.