AMD new CPU RYZEN using blender to render.

my 1700 at 3.95 Ghz gets 2107 on this benchmark… which significantly surpasses a stock 1800x… my 5820k at 4.6 Ghz gets 2767 which beats every CPU on the chart :eyebrowlift2:

That still only matches my i7 Ivy Bridge Chip, which is several years old now.

In a sense, going for the Ryzen is making a bet that the near future will see a lot more processes in a lot more applications become multi-threaded (and it also makes a bet that AMD can squeeze a lot more performance out of the current chips with the help of its technology). Intel meanwhile would still appeal to those who want to play it safe and move forward on all aspects (single-threaded performance included, even though multithreaded performance won’t see as big a leap).

I’m still leaning towards Kaby Lake, as it might be many years yet before we start to seriously see a diminishing importance of single-threaded performance (perhaps AMD will become the leader in that area eventually as well).

A good Ryzen machine is a little more than 1700 USD, it’s a bit too much for me price-wise in the hopes that betting on Ryzen will really pay off.

Lordodin, what BMW scene do you use? I get 2.04 with a gtx960 on the 2xBMW scene…so, how can you get 3.09 with a gtx970?

You can get b350 motherboards for under 100 dollars one of the biggest prices is going to be the ddr4 on any build really… unless you are ok with 16GB of ram which is ~120 USD at the moment

The one from https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/

To make things even murkier, it’s been reported that RAM speed can impact Ryzen’s performance far more than it does for i7 chips (and that will be revealed soon as there’s supposedly a patch that will unlock RAM speeds on the new AMD motherboards).

In a sense, after a lot of reading, there’s notable pros and cons to both chip families.

• Ryzen

• Crushes the i7 in multithreaded tasks such as rendering

• Has smart technologies that may mean performance boosts with new patches

• Also might see performance boosts as the bugs are worked out in the BIOS

• But doesn’t overclock well

• Is reported to have a major weakness with AVX2 instructions (A POV-Ray bench showed Intel chips crushing Ryzen because of this).

• IPC is generally lower, meaning lower single-core performance

• Kaby lake

• Beats Ryzen by a noticeable margin in single-threaded tasks

• Overclocks very well, allowing it to close the gap some

• Handles AVX2 instructions well

• Gives a better chance that applications will just work without needing changes from the developers

• But doesn’t do as well in multithreaded tasks

Take the need for speedy RAM into account and the cost for a Ryzen 7 system goes up to 2000 dollars once tax is figured in (significantly higher than a Kaby Lake system, even one configured through a vendor’s gaming division due to the option to have the chip overclocked).

Kaby Lake then definitely seems like a safer bet now that I listed all of the pros and cons based on reading comments and commentary about Ryzen vs. Intel. AMD is so close right now, but they need to push future chips (or the current one) just a bit further yet to turn a Ryzen purchase into a no-brainer (as opposed to whether multithreaded performance and idealism is to be a higher priority).

2K? Seriously? Someone is all out scamming you. Do you buy your PC parts at a Louis Vuitton store?

As for the rest of your post is like everything else you post at these forums, pure bait.

It’s not bait, go to any mainstream PC vendor’s website, go to their gaming division, and configure a hypothetical PC. If you configure for what would be recommended for a Ryzen system for 3D, you would wind up at about 1800-1900 USD before tax. Obviously they charge a little bit of a premium compared to building your own PC, but it’s a better option for many as they have done all of the work in knowing which parts are compatible with which and will warn you otherwise.

Obviously, you can whack up to 200 bucks off that build by getting 32 Gig 2666 RAM rather than 3200 RAM (but Ryzen is reported to demand the fastest RAM you can get if you want maximum performance, especially after the coming patch fixes a known memory issue). I say 32 gigs because it’s considered the recommended amount for large-scale 3D creation.

Also, the points made in the previous post is based on a large number of articles that looked at Ryzen and the comparison to Kaby Lake (as well as from the comments of computer-savvy individuals who know more about the technical aspects than I do), I’m not just pulling things out at random.

We build our own stuff, Monsieur.

It’s not that hard and you’ll get 50% faster machine.

… when gaming… on 1080p and even then its not a clear cut as it heavily depends on game basis. Sometimes you will get 20% improvements and sometimes only 2%. There are so many things to keep in mind. But even then from a pure work-machine (3D or not) perspective Ryzen has by far the biggest bang for your buck in that space. A comperable six or eight core offer from Intel will cost you a lot more.

Even from a pure game perspective it’s hardly a bad processor. It’s not that for gaming you suddenly need an i7 processor.

I don’t live in the US but here in Europe we pay a lot more (even if you take the taxes into account) and I honestly don’t know how you can end up with a bill of 2k when building a ryzen setup. I’ve done the exercise to replace my aging i7 4770 (although I’m gonna wait how intel basin fall will work out) and I’m not even close to that number. Even with the expensive 32 GB DDR4 Ram.

Have you configured it with monster sata cables with 64k golden connectors by any chance?

I do not know what all goes into the machines built by the big vendors, but I did just find that you can indeed save quite a bit of money if you bought the parts individually and build your own (based on the popular PC Part Picker site).

Also, my inquiry about single-core performance is not based on gaming, but the fact that many aspects of productivity apps. like Blender are still single-threaded. I guess what would be best is to ask whether those who jumped from Intel to AMD saw any slowdown in the execution of single-threaded operators in Blender (when working with heavy scenes, such as the majority of operations related to mesh editing and animation).

Right now though, recent events and incoming information from tech. sites have complicated the move to a new PC for me right now, so I will probably wait a while longer and see what happens as Ryzen gets more patches.

If you don’t know the first thing about building a computer you should say so or refrain to post such uneducated opinions. DDR4 3200 is about the same price as DDR4 2666 and MOBOs are about the same price too. The price difference is nearly zero.

If you like to get scammed by online buliders is a completely different matter because choosing the same parts won’t yield any meaningful difference in price and nowhere near a $2K tag.

But most gains with faster memory are in games and in multicore situations. The whole reason you want fast ram is that it influence the infity fabric connection (http://www.eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-ccx-interconnect-infinity-fabric-tied-to-memory-speeds/) between cores which benefits software/games that are using multiple cores.

Why some Blender operations are slower I don’t know and I don’t know the single-core benchmarks by heart but a R7 1700 is not that much slower then a 6950x for example (at half the price)

The whole Ryzen drama resided around it gaming capabilities with a footnote only when you do 1080p gaming (and don’t use a 60Hz screen) For productivity the thing is a beast.

This is my setup. though I have a Samsung 840 evo which is discontinued now so I put the modern equivalent. Also keep in mind the GPU is 800 dollars lol the ryzen build without it is 1000 dollars… well you dont need a 1000w psu either so like 950 dollars

Pretend that 970 isnt in there xD

The price difference is about 10-15% on NewEgg.

Where’s the evidence that performance increases by anywhere as much? The fact that the “Infinity Fabric” is somehow tied to RAM speed doesn’t mean it makes a significant difference in real-world tests.These tests don’t show such an increase.

If you like to get scammed by online buliders is a completely different matter because choosing the same parts won’t yield any meaningful difference in price and nowhere near a $2K tag.

There is value to having somebody else take care of picking the parts, assembling them professionally and then giving warranty and service on the whole build. That’s what you pay for - it’s not a scam, it’s a service.

Whether that makes sense depends on how you value your own time and how much you consider building a PC to be a hobby vs. a nuisance.

Having said that, I do believe people like Ace Dragon should build their own PCs, just for the nerd credentials.

Depends where you buy it and what day you buy it… At the time I bought my 32GB 3200 mhz ram it was cheaper than 32 GB of 2133. Ram prices are weird these days

I really don’t get why people seem so offended at the concept that some would prefer to buy a PC and have it up and running right away (rather than just buy the parts and build your own).

I am truly sorry then that I don’t have immediate plans to join “the club”, but there’s really no need to get all upset here when considering the completely amoral nature of the subject. Like Beerbaron said, the vendors also give warranty, free replacement if parts fail, professional overclocking to ensure better yet stable performance, ect…

Then what is the point of factoring the price? If it costs more to build an AMD system from those vendors they’re scamming you because the price is the same.

If you are concerned about the price you don’t go to a builder. If you factor the building price through them they’re scamming you because both Intel and AMD parts cost the same.

:rolleyes: Now please move back to topic.
“Keep your Intel close but AMD closer.” … or the other way around, as you please.

So how the rendering is going? Any other engines tested with blender on RYZEN? It’s also fast with Indigo4 (AVX doesn’t matter) :wink:

What I’m more interested in is whether people saw a noticeable slowdown in intensive single-thread operations when they switched from a quad-core Intel to the 8-core Ryzen.

I know it may seem a little dramatic to fixate on this, but this type of discussion would be moot if only that rumor of 5 Ghz with one core active turned out to be true (which it wasn’t). Preferably, if I was to upgrade, I would want to move forward on as many aspects related to PC’s as possible (from single-core performance, multi-core performance, memory speed, RAM count, RAM speed, ect…).