AMD's (ProRender) Plugin for Blender

Hey guys, Good requests. I’ll make sure they are logged. As long as the card supports OpenCL 1.2 you should be fine for use. I can’t speak for other manufacturers other than AMD on their OpenCL support though :wink:

On another note I put together an essay talking about the neverending question “Which renderer is faster” and how to answer that.
The short overview is here’s my proposal for how to compare “speed” of path tracers:

1. Match renders in both as close as possible
  2. Render in both with some absurdly large # of samples to get “ground truth” images (no noise)
  3. Render at more reasonable samples in both, record the render times and noise levels (script included for measure noise variance)
  4. Compare render times and noise variance.
    Same render times, but less noise = Faster renderer
    Same noise variance but faster render = faster renderer
    Thoughts? I probably will put together a video explaining this as well.

Essay here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wujnpnw2z3mkur7/Comparing%20Renderers.pdf?dl=0

Pretty cool essay, this convinced me to check on Pro Render even when all my GPU’s are Nvidia.

Now regarding Pro Render… does it support things like hair and volumetrics?

One of the reasons why we don´t go with Corona in Blender is precisely because Corona does not support volumes, and that is important to us for different reasons.

Cheers!

Nice explanation of your testing method.

@bsavery:
I’ve tried installing RPR repeatedly but still get the same problem (hardware failed [card has only opencl 1.1]), software and the last check passed. It says it will only run in cpu mode (I’ll accept that for trying out the renderer and it’s integration). But next is disabled, so I cannot continue the installation. I have not found a way through this. I filed a support case a month ago and quite quickly got a nice reply that they’d look into it and get back to me, but I have not heard anything since. Your review of less noise/time compared to cycles makes it very interesting to look up RPR (though noticing that denoising is not mentioned on the rpr features page which has had great results in at least nc renderman and cycles to improve noise/time). I’m in the process of buying a new workstation, and my expected renderer the closest years might influence hardware priorities. Are there any force switches to add to install commandline (did not find anything in the manual)?

Well first off, you should definitely complain to your video card maker if they don’t support OpenCL 1.2 (2011 vintage I think?) :wink:

I’ll make sure that issue gets looked at, had it too on some older hardware myself.

Brian

Well. :slight_smile: Yes, the videocard is from early 2011 I think… It was good at the time. :slight_smile: As I mentioned, I’m about to replace my current setup. :slight_smile:

/Torbjörn

Hi mpan3

I was watching your render with caustics, looks nice.

Can you please share your render settings ?
I could not achieve good caustics like yours.

Thx in advance.

Anyone running into stability issues with 2.79. Crashed a bunch of times when I try to run the preview render.

We should be putting out a release in a few weeks which will have a bunch of performance and stability issues fixed.

Awesome !!!

Any chance of getting Vega drivers to work on Ubuntu 16.04.3?

I believe the default Production render setting was sufficient to get that result. But here is the Blend file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3oapcnp6sz1hn2e/cornell_proRender.blend?dl=0

Thx mpan3
Very appreciated.

Took a look at the cornell scene from mpan3 (posted above) & bevel produces black triangle here, otherwise is fine.

ps
lowering emissive intensity reduces noise :wink:

What about the support of Metallic PBR workflow? Thanks.

Should be coming to blender plugin in nov/dec release.

Thanks, it is great to hear!

Hey guys, we have an updated release coming next week as I mentioned. Anyone interested in giving some early feedback and bug bash send me a PM and I’ll link the build.

Hey bsavery,

Just wondering if out-of-core rendering was implemented into RPR yet. Thx.

Yes, it’s out-of-core.