America

Meh… You have lifted the images of the Flag, the globe, Uncle Sam and it looks like the skull too for this unoriginal work of art.
Congratulations

Sheez. I’m looking at other finished project threads of distinctly less quality than this and don’t see the kind of glib snarky rudeness there that I do here. Holy crap people, take the chips off your shoulders.

And this artwork being close to the line for appropriate? Eh. Give me a break.

Cool pic, i like it, ho yeah… also… if anybody want to talk about their opinions about art and the freedom or human rights… just start a thread in the off topic chat or this thread will be closed. This is not the place for your opinions.

this piece was rushed, so the quality did suffer.

This sums it up for me artistically. Why was it rushed? Was there a deadline? Or did you just not care that much? Visually it’s not bad, but as far as I can tell it’s basically just a collection of jpegs you downloaded from the web and put on layers. (Now, if you modeled and rendered that skull yourself in the space of an hour, please disregard this whole comment, because my hat’s off to you… but I don’t think that’s the case). I’d be interested in knowing how much of this was original work and how much is collage. Nothing against collage, but… if you admit yourself that it was rushed, maybe that’s an area that you could have improved on.

Thematically, I don’t think the content is especially edgy or provocative (which I guess shows what I’m used to…) but I do think that with a piece that was slapped together this hastily, with thematic content which obviously is designed to provoke a strong reaction among some people, the “trolling” aspect begins to outweigh the “art” aspect to me.

In my opinion you can get away with more thematically if you put a little more effort into the work. To me this piece smacks of quick-n-easy provocation.

I’m looking at other finished project threads of distinctly less quality than this and don’t see the kind of glib snarky rudeness there that I do here.

That’s kind of the point. The work on those other threads either doesn’t merit much response (shiny sphere type stuff) or gets people trying to help with suggestions. But this piece is mainly only notable for its thematic content. When the artist himself admits he rushed through it in an hour, it’s hard to imagine what kind of suggestions on technique he might be looking for. Whereas it’s clear what kind of response the image is trying to provoke.

Am I weird for thinking that artistic pieces usually take more than an hour to complete? This gives me an idea for a poll, actually…

Whether the picture is trolling or not, though, I would discourage people from commenting on the politics of it. Political threads get ugly whether they are based on an image or not.

i think the purpose of art is to get people thinking. and talking.

@ harkyman: ditto, relax people. Can’t you look at it as if you are not from any country/culture/genre.
I like the image.

Oh, and art can happen in any time frame.

Oh, and art can happen in any time frame.

I’m absolutely not doubting that. The original poster said himself that this piece was rushed and the quality suffered for that. That’s what I was commenting on.

Call it what you want. It takes a bit of talent and lots of hard work to inspire people. Takes no talent and little work to shock and offend. Take the shock value away from this piece and what do you have left? Garbage.

Many artists around the world think that shoking people with their work is a way to make them think and question their reality, and those are the paths to make humanity better.

See, I’m not shocked or provoked, I just think it was just a tired idea done badly.

http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/4thmaw/hq/images/vision/Iwo%20Jima%20Flag%20Raising.jpg

Absolutely.

Given that my country is run by far less honorable/capable men theese days, I think you would all do well to remember that our accomplishments throughout history benefited all.

The desecration of my flag here is disgusting. My grandfather is turning in his grave right now.

Way to generalize your shit here Smerity.

Exactly, if the art is supposed to convey the thoughts and emotions of the artist, then criticism towards it should be commenting on how well it has achieved its goal.

lol c’mon guys, its a frikn image!

The desecration of my flag here is disgusting.

What kind of junk is that? Everyone applauded the “Tube” piece, and rightly so, and that was far more disgusting than this can possibly be. Your flag? So you think an image is a desecration, when a lot more crap is being done under “your flag” than this image portrays.

Far out guys, if it offends you, jolly well stay out of the thread. BlackBoe has criticised it well, cause even though he doesnt like it, he doesnt use the crap “my flag is offended” line.

endrant\

Actually I don’t reckon my post has helped this thread at all, and probably stirred up too much crap but hey. 2 cents.

Regards,
greenlig

I see what you are saying, I’m angry ok.

My country is going to the crapper, and there is nothing that I can do about it. I don’t need someone who doesn’t even live here to tell me that it all went to shit through their idea of “art”, I see it every day.

That said I respect the everyones right to free speech, and I think this (even though I don’t like it) is a part of that.

So, my bad for “blasting out”.

Personally I think that as a image in itself the thing is fine. It looks visually interesting, it comments on current events and obviously has hit a nerve with a few people who can’t see beyond thier own view of the world.

IMHO the level of praiseworthyness is ultimately dependant on how much actaul work that went in was the creators and how much was just downloaded and photoshopped

To all those complaining about the use of “the flag” and making cliched comments like

I think you would all do well to remember that our accomplishments throughout history benefited all.
should pull thier heads in and get over themselves.

View it as it is, you might not like the artists oppinion, message or viewpoint but please stop short of complaining that it sucks just beacuse it does not jell with your own arguably “incorrect” personal oppinions.

The stupidity of some of the posts in this thread is astounding. A hack who posted an offensive image to make a political statement -who then tries to explain the “true” meaning behind it and say he didn’t mean to offend anyone. People posting their personal opinion that personal opinions shouldn’t be posted. People saying the offended are ignorant and out-of-line. People saying opinions about the message shouldn’t cloud one’s judgment on the quality of the image, then proceed to praise the crappy work -obviously because they agree with the message.

You people are pathetic. I spit on you -no offense intended. :rolleyes:

You people are pathetic. I spit on you
Aw, come on, don’t be shy. Tell us what you really think.:wink:

Even if this is a collage i like it :slight_smile:
and everyone just shutup, if someone posted something like this of an Australian flag i wouldn’t give a sh*t i’d just look at the pretty picture and comment on what i like about it and what i think needs improving.
and LarryPhilips i spit back on you. I don’t know why but i do :slight_smile: he jk

I think after this thread Smerity might decide to extend his long absence…:smiley:

As for this argument:

There. problem solved:rolleyes:
Now, let’s all get back to commenting on the artwork itself.

Greenlig. I’m Canadian, it says in my location tag. This may be why I’m not as riled about the picture, though I do think it’s lacking in any real quality or intelligence. It’s odd, I’ve noticed there’s not even a message in the picture, just a generic combination of ‘button pushes’ that could mean absolutely anything. Graffiti on the flag. Always gets people going. Uncle Sam–symbolic of America–with a skull. There’s no actual message, just psychological tags.

Also, Greenlig. This always annoyed me when people did this. “Far out guys, if it offends you, jolly well stay out of the thread. BlackBoe has criticised it well, cause even though he doesnt like it, he doesnt use the crap “my flag is offended” line.” Your reasoning seems both backward and slightly hypocritical. If people are free to create art(Though in this case I should say “art”), why aren’t other people free to sit around and say it sucks? It’s the same freedom. This is not sarcasm or a rhetorical question, I’d genuinely like your answer. Feel free to PM me.