Hi guys thanks for your comments, I was actually finished with this render “Finished Projects” not WIP, but anyhu if you’ve got something constructive to add that I did indeed miss or didn’t think of, then I suppose that’s good with me.
To answer a few of your points, yes, the burger bun was a pain - not to model, or texture - but oddly it just didn’t look that great in the end. The bun texture is from a photo I took of an actual burger bun - (it was a cheap burger with cheese and a bun for £1, Not a mighty fine burger at all! maybe this is where the issue is?).
When it didn’t turn out as I’d hoped I even tried to buy a better bun to replace it - but finding one where I live that either doesn’t have seeds on it, or is covered in flour is next to impossible
I then added the seeds with the particle system with a variation of a group of seeds.
I added a small amount of shine as the bun I had, had a slight sheen (as with most things in real life they have some kind of reflectivity) - maybe I added too much.
I created a bump map/displacement map from the original photo, grayscale etc and increased contrast for the areas that needed lifting and deepening. Maybe this is where things were let down slightly too, I’m not sure either - bumps can be hard to do for some organic things. I wasn’t rapturous the way the bun turned out, but it was the best I could come up with sadly.
I didn’t want to make the diner too scruffy, it was meant to be a clean establishment that was reasonably new - a modern take on a 50’s diner - I referenced this a lot. I did considered a whole host of dirt and scratches, but my wife’s a chef and she’d never have a place that had chipped cups, tatty chairs, dirty bottles etc. Additonally I was running low on gfx memory for rendering, which was causing a few headaches - adding all these extras textures cripples GPU rendering, esp when you’ve only got 1GB.
So I just went with a few details - pepper on the pepper pot top and table, salt on the top of the salt pot, ketchup around the edge of the sauce bottle and obviously the fly - which no matter how clean a place is, there’s always a dead one around somewhere - Maybe if I’d have gone with a cheap truck drivers cafe, then maybe that scruffiness would have been more appropriate - least that’s my take on it.
Lighting wise I tried to avoid too much of the cliche orange glow, the sun wasn’t that low for the angle in the sky, at least that’s the way I saw it through my window at the same angle/time of day - maybe it’s different in the US, living in Ireland I rarely get much warm yellow sun here lol.
I wanted to avoid using the Sun lamp as I’ve always been aware or the problems with Cycles and fireflies (white dots). But needed to use it because I wanted to use an alpha tree texture outside the window to simulate light passing through tree leaves and branches - I thought it would add a nice bit of detail to the light. Plus it’d make the bloom look a lot more realistic.
I know that Cycles now has the Clamp option to help with over-exposed areas, but obviously that would have not only killed the fireflies, but also the bright bloom - I tried it, and it sucked, even at 0.99.
As with most renders it’s all a question of balance, what I wanted wasn’t a hundred percent achievable, at least not with my knowledge or with Cycles - there was a bit of a compromise here and there. It’s not until you put all those tips and knowledge into a complete scene that you realise that not everything works as well as at did in a basic test studio environment.
Monsterdog, I did use Andrew’s glass method, to reduce render time and also reduce the noise in the glass - its by no means perfect, but was another compromise.
Your first node setup for the plastic I couldn’t use because I’m not using a version of 2.63 with Ray Length, I’m assuming it’s in a later build from mine. Even though I know milk would make for a good SSS render, the milkshakes I looked at online for reference didn’t let any visible light through, so SSS would have probably been a bit overkill - it would have been nice all the same. Also the plastic sauce bottles, some were slightly transparent, others were completely opaque - at least from the angles they were shot.
I tried the second setup you gave for the glass which works well if you have caustics switched on, but this causes too many fireflies in the scene - I had to remove a fair number of them in post and that was only a small sprinkle - with caustics on I’d have been at it over an hour or more removing the damn nasty things! Without Caustics on and using your node setup the glass renders too dark, like tinted glass. So I guess the original method I used was the best compromise in the end - thanks anyway
Pulp Fiction - I originally was going to recreate a Big Kahuna Burger diner, but because it was fictional it was hard to get many references (mostly just mentioned in Tarantino’s films) - there are a few logos around from the film, but I just didn’t like the colour scheme, it was just too far away from my original image I wanted to create - the 50’s diner. so in the end I just added a few things to suggest the homage.
The Fly - Everyone seems to like that, although it was the easiest part to create. Just an alpha map image mapped onto a plane. the angle of the lighting in the fly photo matched the angle of the scene well, plus because it was alpha mapped it cast a nice shadow too. Glad I didn’t have to model a whole fly just for the effect!
Anyhu, It’d be nice to see some of you guys do something for the comp, you all seem to know what you’re doing - and it’ll be good for advertising what blender can do in the right hands, good luck!