An Animation

Hey,

I’ve decided to do a video using a mixture of actual video, HDRIs, and animation. I know this will be hard, and I haven’t really done anything like this before. Bu I figure I’ll give it a shot and hopefully learn a lot. Any advice would be much appreciated.

For the project I want to create 4 3D characters. I’ve just started actually doing it today. So far I have drafts for two characters.

-Tin Man
-Leopardess

Thanks, :smiley:

Attachments

Here is what I have so far for the third character.

-The Farmers Wife.

The model is actually from 3D World/ Shine FX. I did the texture, and modeled the hat which uses an Open Blender Material Repository material by CyaN. I modified it slightly.

Attachments

Here are new versions of Tin Man and Leopardess.

Attachments

The tin man looks O.K (generated with makehuman isn’t it?), but dude the leopard guy looks awful. First, you should turn the shadig of, then you should make the geometry of the face somewhat heavier and comb the fur a bit. I’d advice you to learn to model you own characters. It takes a bit of practice, but it’s worth it. Since you’ve never made an animation short before, I also advice you to learn about weight painting, key shapes and actions. You should also create a sort of script (and eventually some concept art), before you start. This really speeds up the process.

A couple of thing,

A couple of thing,

1. I do know how to model character. I do understand that it takes great skill. The fact is, MakeHuman can speed up the process, why not use it?

2. I have done animated shorts! What I meant was that I have never done an animated short that is mixed with video and HDRI.

Also, please make CONSTRUCTIVE comments. Please instead of writing:

“the leopard guy looks awful. First, you should turn the shadig of, then you should make the geometry of the face somewhat heavier and comb the fur a bit.”

Please just write:

A few tips on the leopard guy: First, you should turn the shadig of, then you should make the geometry of the face somewhat heavier and comb the fur a bit.

Finally, keep in mind that this is the “works in progress” section. Its not a final product. I’m open to advice, but please do not judge my work before it is completed.

One other note,

Do not assume, because I did not post it on the thread, their their is nothing of a script.

This is a 3D art forum, not a script forum. Some people choose to request feedback on their script, I am asking people to fucus on the art.

For one thing, I agree that you shouldn’t be using Makehuman, and other people’s models for your project. Makehuman is good for studying anatomy and decent topology, but it’s not for finished projects. Also, it’s very obvious that you’re using the same model for both characters, and that all of your texturing was done sloppily with procedural mapping. Also, he wasn’t being harsh, the leopard guy, I’m sorry to say, does suck.

My suggestions:

1. Model your own humans. Make there be at least some variation between characters.
  2. Put more effort into your textures. It’s obvious that for the tin man you just took a metal photo, and mapped it procedurally. For a decent character texture, you should do a UV map, and paint out textures in photoshop, or GIMP.
  3. Do some research on particle fur tutorials. Yours doesn’t look good.:no:
  4. Do smaller projects to learn about what your doing before you attempt a full short. And if you are intent on this, don’t expect it to look great.

EDIT:
Ah, and just edit your posts if you have something new to say, Triple posts are generally frowned on.