An Autodesk partner website apparently made an article comparing Maya to Blender

He just means that a python script that is being distributed is already in the form of a source code … So if you distribut a script even for commercial purposes like most of the add on sold for blender, You’r GPL compliant already…

It’s an inherent part of a scripting language like python anyway…

I guess the only problem would be if the script didn’t include the GPL license as part of the distribution or a link to it…

An example would be great.

Maybe I phrased that in a funny way. I wasn’t trying to say that every license that gives you access to the source code is automatically GPL compliant. I meant that all the licenses approved by the Free Software Foundation (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses) allow the sort of unrestricted access to the source code that they would want you to have.

I understand that maybe there could be licenses where you technically can have access to the source, but maybe there are other restrictions on what you can do with it.

GPL compatible means only that software under that license can be included in (and thus relicensed as) GPL software. Any derivative of GPL licensed software (which in the strict interpretation includes scripts for Blender) must be released under the GPL only and not under any of the compatible licenses.

Oh, I see. So we really can’t use any license other than gpl for blender addons then.

Yes. Otherwise you’d have a very obvious loophole. Imagine:
Software A is licensed under the GPL.
Software B is derived from A, but uses the MIT license.
Software C is derived from B and uses a closed proprietary license.

This way you could just throw an MIT licensed shim around any GPL software and use it under the more liberal license.

You can dual license your own code with whatever you want since you own the copyright. It just doesn’t serve much purpose for addons since they’re so specific to Blender. Maybe if you had a novel algorithm or something.

If your code is 100% original work. Once your code derived from other people’s code, their terms and conditions apply.

We’re getting into pedantry here but GPL doesn’t restrict, assume or otherwise affect your copyright. That means you can dual license your original parts of code, even if you’re using it with someone else’s. Note the use of “dual” here, you must license it GPL, but you can also license your parts MIT if you wanted. It would be a good idea to make it a library or something to avoid confusion though. Again, doesn’t make a lot of sense for Blender addons in most cases.

Also, another thing people often confuse is that things other than scripts are not necessarily licensed GPL. That means you can’t just copy someone’s decals or plugins(the mesh kind) or other assets from an addon to anyone you want.