An Esoteric Thread: The Way of Blender

GCat is having an esoteric moment.

Gcat wonders if anyone can put together a sentence that sums up what Blender is…?

GCat’s contribution:

Blender is an organic flow of ideas, of inspiration, of encouragement, of aspiration, of practical belief in the impossible, the dream.

Valarking thinks that people who talk in 3rd person are annoying.

RobDollar agrees.

gcat agrees too

I think Ton already did…At least it impressed me…
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=302205&highlight=#302205

is the “estoric” thing a joke I don’t understend?

“Blender is a perspective on perspective, an idea containing ideas, a recursive flow of bits and bytes which is summed by an image, a movie, a game and ultimately, a story”

(the above is a draft, and may change over time)

Take II:
“Blender is a perspective upon a perspective,
an idea containing ideas,
a recursive flow of bits and bytes which result in an image, a movie,
a game and ultimately, a story”

/me agrees with GCat

Brian

it wasn’t meant to be a joke. I don’t really know what esoteric means, but it seemed like the right kind of word to use. I had just spent several hours with my friend and his family messing around with Blender. We were all transfixed for several hours with coloring the monkey head, messing with textures, making an animation etc.

I was struck by how much we all learned in such a short space of time, and then I got thinking about the elysiun community and what a fab bunch of people there are here. And then I got thinking of Blender’s place in the cg industry and how it won’t be long before it reaches the crossroads. etc etc.

He is a handsome man
xintoc is speaking of himself

got it.

it wasn’t meant to be a joke. I don’t really know what esoteric means, but it seemed like the right kind of word to use.[/quote]

LOL, my brother does that. He uses some words hilariously out of context. FYI: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=esoteric

If you were clutching at straws, you could say that you meant this thread to produce a definition of Blender only for insiders; like jargon. Sort of like how Blender calls shaders ‘materials’ instead of shaders like pretty much every other 3D program on the planet.

Sounds like a wild ride… rock on.

Which crossroads?

Which crossroads?[/quote]

At cgnetworks, Blender has gained sufficient kudos that the new release was announced and it has been given its own forum recently. This is significant and has happened in the past month or so. Infact I think it was only this year that Blender had a started to have a shared forum there.

Within the community, some people want to see Blender gaining respect alongside the ‘big players’, and I guess may even like to see Blender as one of the ‘big players’.

From some of the threads here, it sounds like there may be growing interest in Blender at schools/universities.

I was wondering what would happen if some big animation studio used Blender as its main animation software and made a blockbuster movie with it. And made a huge profit from the movie. Would that have any effect on Blender?

I guess what I’m wondering is how Blender will evolve over the coming years. Particularly whether it will maintain its open source / ‘free’ status or whether we will see it developing more extensive commercial interests than at present. And if it does develop more commercial interests, what impact will this have on Blender as we know it now.

My guess is that changes are not far away…

I have too noticed blender making a more signiicant impact at cgnetworks, with the announced release there and the three pages of topic about the new release, plus when it was announced that there would be face select, fgons, and other stuff there was an actual non blender user there who posted about it.

“Blender is a free open source application for creating 3D art and games that provides more features than any other free 3D application available.”

Whoops, looks like I made my definition too much of a definition.

Whoops, looks like I made my definition too much of a definition.

You did…

What about:

Blender Is

This is actually the definition of “vrooom” (I wonder if someone here knows where that comes from) but I think it is a good definition of Blender as wel:

“An inevitable and remorseless forward movement wich carries everything before it”.