Hi there, all!
After using Blender for almost three years, I’m a huge fan.
Nine months ago, I figured I would donate some of my time to creation of an online material library, a much requested feature.
Since May 2012, I have been working on creating an online material library and an add-on to browse it from within Blender.
You can download the add-on from my website.
- Download the add-on and bundled library in online_mat_lib.zip. (Direct link)
- Open up Blender and go to File > User Preferences.
- A new window should open up; go to “Addons”.
- At the bottom of the new window, there is a button named “Install addon…”; click it.
- Blender’s filebrowser will now open; locate the online_mat_lib.zip file you downloaded previously.
- Select it and hit Enter (Return).
- Back in the list of add-ons, search for “Material” and you’ll see the Online Material Library add-on. Enable it.
- Now, if you switch to Cycles and go to the material options, you’ll see a new panel named “Online Material Library”. Go ahead and grab some materials!
If there’s any materials you think should be rated higher (or lower), please post here to let me know. If some should be removed entirely, again, please post your comments in this thread.
Please test the add-on and let me know what ya think of it!
Look for stuff that doesn’t work how you’d expect. Let me know what parts feel clunky and what features you’d like to see in the first version.
Also, if you see a material in the library that you created does not have your name with it, please let me know so I can give you credit.
(Ordered by priority; from most important to least important.)
- Add material from library (Done)
- Material preview image (Done)
- Apply selected library material’s to active (local) material (Done)
- Save material to disk (Done)
- Automatically cache library data for speed (Done)
- Optionally cache library materials for offline use (Done!)
- Search library (Possible for first version)
- Add material from .bcm file (Possible for version 1.0) (Done)
- Convert material to .bcm file (Possible for version 1.0) (Done)
- Create custom local library (Won’t make the first version)
- (Got any other ideas? :eyebrowlift2: )
My Goals for this Material Library:
- To provide all Blender users with a high-quality repository of materials
- To help newer users learn Blender through studying the materials
- To provide the materials for free, with no attribution required
This initiative is working together with Brendon’s (Meta-Androcto’s) Cycles MatLib effort to provide users with access to a high-quality material library from within Blender.
There are currently two online libraries, Release and Testing, both of which are hosted on my website.
Release is updated every one or two months with new materials from the Testing library. The Release library also gets cached by the add-on for speed.
Testing is updated continually, whenever new materials are added to it. Only materials rated high enough (just how high is still to be determined) will be moved to the Release library. This library is cached, but cached data is deleted whenever the library is changed.
To submit a material, simply PM me the .bcm code and a description of the material, or post the same on this thread.
You can convert a material to .bcm code by going to the “Tools” section of the add-on, selecting the text block you wish to write to, and clicking convert. Then just open up a text editor window, copy all the code, and paste it into your reply/message.
I’ll look into getting a submission form up on my website soon, but for now, just use the forum.
All materials, OSL scripts, images, and node groups are licensed as Creative Commons Zero.
You may modify or redistribute this add-on under the terms of the GNU General Public License 3.0 or any later version.