Analdin's WIPs [Currently: First Character]

Wheels and rims.

So, everything is now nicely unwrapped and (apart from the paintjob) textured.

I’m gonna do the paintjob just for fun, it’s not really a remake of any real-life paintjob, but if anyone wants to see this car with a certain paintjob, just post an image, a link, or a name and I’ll see what I can do.

Some specs:

Mesh: 25439 tris, 25099 verts
Textures: 4x 2048², 2x 1024², 2x 512*1024, 3x 32²
Shaders: 8

Decided to change colors, here’s another viewport shot.

Painjob is half finished. Decided to go with a blue/red/white palette.

Once the paintjob is done, I’ll have to pick the next project (again game-ready stuff). I thought about either a mix between a Fairlady Z and a Ferrari 599XX, or a muscle car, maybe the Plymouth Barracuda. But my favourite right now would be making a character, since I’ve never really touched Blender’s sculpting system, and I didn’t create any characters before. What do you guys think?

Here’s the half finished paintjob screenshot, and the last picture of that model in this thread.

The finished paintjob will be posted in the “Finished” section.

Now that the NSX is finished (the finished projects thread is here), I have decided to model a '71 Plymouth Road Runner, and I’m planning on taking inspiration from the various racing versions, mostly this one. Oddly, it was pretty hard to find a blueprint of the 1971 Road Runner - Barracudas and Road Runners from different years were a dime a dozen, but finally, I found a decent sized blueprint of the '71 version.

If I can, I’ll upload the first screenshots of the body tonight.

The most basic shapes are forming.

When making cars, instead of blocking in the shape, I prefer to first create the whole body with lines only. It helps me getting the connections between shapes right, and usually I change a line or two here, before even working with faces.

As with my previous car, I don’t want to just remake an existing car in 3D, and so I will change the appearance as I go. I don’t have an exact plan how it’ll look in the end, just a few “guides”:

• The mudguards will be a little bigger than usual, to make space for the big tires (have a look at the blue Roadrunner from the post above)

• The rear mudguard’s top will be slightly lower, because I like that “only 2/3 of the tire shows” look.

• The front will have to be more aggressive, but I don’t know how I’ll do that right now.

• The rear lights will get completely scrapped, I will have to search/think of better lights.

• Overall, the car should have that hand-built look racecars in the 70’s had, while still looking like it could handle a track just like any modern car.

A very simple body is done.

Added some detailing curves and fixed some of the smoothing. Most of the work has gone into the mudguards so far.
The holes in the side parts are for side pipes.

Refined the curves a little, the new tail shape was a happy accident, and the lights shape was a follow-up to that accident :slight_smile: .

~3000 tris so far

Worked on the lights.

The painted body is mostly done now, and at ~4700 tris.

I decided to close the sidepipes hole and go for regular exhausts. Front and back lights are shaping up.

Bottom parts and the insides of the mudguards are done.
Even though a bottom part plate made entirely of one piece isn’t really the style of muscle racing cars, the logic of the game I am making this for dictates that important mechanic parts should be protected.
So, everything but the exhausts will be covered by the plate.

Polycount so far is ~10300 tris, roughly half of the polygons I intend to spend on the car without wheels.

I worked on the front a little, separated all the hull parts, and added new tires, just to see how the car would look like with wheels.

I’m still unsure about the back, it feels a little empty right now.

Polycount is just over 12000 tris.

Had some free time yesterday and today and spent most of it working on the hull details and starting the inside mesh.

While BlenderArtists was down, I made some progress.

Some of the interior (mostly the armatures) has been added:

The car’s basic body is now almost complete:

And I found a nice pose for beauty shots:

What do you think?

Rendered a turntable of the current progress, OpenGL as always.

the area where the back window meets the quarter panels doesn’t look quite right. The C-Pillars / quarter panels actually slope more. It’s not such a harsh transition there.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Do you mean the slope at the window sides that transitions into the trunk?
Didn’t notice that before, thanks!

yes, that is what I was talking about. It’s slopes there at the trunk. Right now, it looks like a harsh transition you have there…on the actual car…not so much.

You were right, it looks much better now. Thanks!