anatomic hand model

this is just a link to a brief animation
http://vimeo.com/1373983

armature deforms both a bone model (minus the carpals) and a skin model

they aren’t particularly detailed - the purpose of this is as a tool for presentations for education so the fine details are all a bit redundant

once the hand videos have been all done I’ll be doing some others on some other body parts

to be applied:
muscles and tendons

well, i like the shading :smiley: good luck with muscles. they not easy

started work on tendons. Another video now up at:
http://vimeo.com/1380091

@Sammaron: Actually, there are no muscles in our fingers. Bend them back and forth and take a look at your forearm. Weird, eh?

@doncuan: Good job so far. :slight_smile:

there are a bunch of muscles in the hand though - I’m not going to add them all, just the ones I need to illustrate my points. Probably muscles of the thumb, a couple of interossei, a couple of lumbricals, and abductor digiti minimi. They shouldn’t take all that long though (I think)

My only comment is that the tendons would be better seen from the back of the hand … I know there are tendons on the palm side too, but due to the muscles of the palm obfuscating them, the palmer tendons are only visible at the wrists … and having the carpals modeled wouldn’t hurt either (with Retopo now it is not that hard - start with the Capitate and work out from there) …

@ BlendRoid : Like doncuan said, there are a lot of muscles in the hand for fine control of the fingers … the tendons doncuan is representing are the major elements that open and close the hand, but for the flexion of the hand there are several muscles that are not a part of the tendon’s chain of function … If we didn’t have these muscles we wouldn’t have our opposable thumbs or be able to play the piano or be able to finger paint …

I’m going to put in the extensors too. The final model is planned to be a teaching adjunct for medical students / interns / whoever else needs it to demonstrate proper examination of the hand and illustrate how and why as well as the more common midde injuries and medicolegal pitfalls and how to avoid them.
From a medical perspective the palmar tendons have much more significance.

The final model will have (only enough for explanation of the above points):

• digital nerves and arteries
  • finger ligaments
  • some muscles and how to examine them
  • how to examine the tendons (flexors and extensors)
  • how to examine the nerve function higher up the arm too

I’m not sure if you’ve got the bones entirely correct yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand

the bones aren’t quite anatomic and I’ve deliberately left out the carpals. The bones are actually just a metacarpal model duplicated (slight adjustment for the index metacarpal as it looked totally wrong), a proximal phalanx model duplicated and used for the middle phalanges too, and a distal model duplicated.

For what I am trying to achieve, fine tuning on the bones is not going to add anything other than work for me.

PS ignore the x-ray image on wikipedia. It looks like an early teenager’s bones. The picture below it is more representative