Ancient Knight Rig

Hello,

So I am working on my first rig in Blender. (I’ve done some in Maya before). I’m basically trying to create a “control” rig which is VERY lightweight for animators to use to animate the character’s locomotion. When they are done animating it, I will then constrain it to a “bound” rig that will then be used for rendering. This control rig does not have any facial controls, since I want to keep the body and face controls seperate since one animator will work on the body and another will work on the face. I feel this rig is 99% complete, but I would like to hear others opinions. Anyways check out the rig and let me know what you think!

Best Regards,

Stephen

http://www.grasshorse.com/temp/shmknght_rig1_control_v15.blend

How come the nknees arent connected??

Stephen,

• You’ve locked the translation/move of the foot IK controllers. Did you mean to lock the rotation ?

My personal preference is to have the foot IK controllers also control the rotation of the whole foot. If not, then make the foot bones HINGE bones so they stay flat when the Root bone is moved.

-You should use the “bone layers” feature to hide any bones that shouldn’t be animated. (Select a bone in pose mode, press “m” to move it to a layer. Use the (F9) Armature / Editing Display buttons to turn layers on/off

The spine seems to be very finicky, moving the twist control and/or the spine control makes it go berserk. Changing the Chainlen to 4 or 5 from the current 0 seems to improve it (Did you forget to change it from 0) ?

The arms are also a bit finicky in IK node. You might want to try “elbow” IK targets.

Mike

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input. I’m not sure I know what the nknees are. I took at look at the KneeControls and made sure that they were still constrained to the thighs, and it looks like they are.

Mike you are right. The foot controllers got locked down in the translates when it should have been the scale and rotation that was locked. Good catch. Would do me any good if no one could animate the feet! I was trying to add rotation to the feet as well with the same controller, but it didn’t work very well. I was attempting to do the rig that is in the SoD for character animation advanced rig setup. I will give it a shot. I will also play with making the foot a hinge and see how that works.

I’ve been hiding some bones, mostly from the hand and I agree, I could hide more. I just wonder what people preferances are to animating, and it they use FK at all and want to have access to them? I guess I could hide anything that is driven by Ik. What joints are you thinking?

Legs
Feet
Arms
Spine
Head

Regarding the spine, I was doing a lot of funky stuff trying to get it to work. I thought it was set at 4 or 5, but you’re right it wasn’t. I fixed that as well and it does handle better. I was looking at Proog from Elephant’s Dream for inspiration. It seems that he has a very simplistic spine. Does that seem to be a trend? That probably won’t work for this character since he is going to be crawling, swimming, falling, running, etc. If you have any ideas on how to improve the spine please let me know.

I will definately put elbow IK targets on there. That is a terrific idea.

I really appreciate you guys taking a look at this rig!

Best Regards

Stephen

Hello,

So I reworked the rig a bit with the advice given and I think that it has turned out terrific. I added a couple other controls as well. One for the neck and the other for the pelvis. Any bone that wasn’t a control I went ahead and hid. The result is a much cleaner looking rig and it looks much more intuitive. Thank you very much for your help. Any one that would like to look over the revised rig is more than welcome to. I appreciate all comments and critques.

Best Regards,

Stephen

http://www/grasshorse.com/temp/shmknght_rig1_control_v16.blend

[QUOTE=grasshorse;752803

Stephen

http://www/grasshorse.com/temp/shmknght_rig1_control_v16.blend[/QUOTE]

Link isn’t working.

Mike

Looks like Grasshorse went down this morning. The site is back up and the link is working.

Stephen

Still doesn’t work for me.

Try 4shared.com, that’s what I use.

Mike

http://www.4shared.com/file/6253240/b84d9ae2/shmknght_rig1_control_v16.html

Give that a shot!