ANIMAT: Widgetless, On-Model Animation in Blender UPDATE 1: 13 Oct. 2014

It’s not about getting stuff to trunk but open source principle, sharing knowledge, experiences, accidents, mistakes… every action (work) has a value, even failed attempts (negative) which need to be taken into account. Especially when wanting precise results.
Can’t you sum it up?
Still in the dark age?

The point isn’t even worth discussion in this case. These features WILL be in master, just not under my personal oversight and development. The idea was deemed good enough that it deserved a proper C implementation, which turned out to be a necessity for what I had in mind. So I gave some pointers to the team, and they got coding. Turned out more work was needed deeper in Blender’s code, so things ended up being frozen awaiting viewport and depsgraph updates. Which leads to today where depagraph is wrapping up and viewport is getting into full swing. So be patient, it’s coming, and in a much better way than I ever would have provided on my own.

guys like you are going to make blender the best. I hope Ton thinks so.

This is a great idea.
As a python coder myself, it seems nothing more than a modal operator that detects areas containing shapekey data, & allows you to manipulate the value of that shapekey by matching it with the mouses coordinates. Maybe we can work together & make this a possibility. I know for a fact this is possible using only python. No need for C.
I say this because my WIP instant retopology tool ,which lets you manipulate the quadflow, is all python based(modal hacks).

Indeed, the actual detection of face zones and basic interaction with shape keys and bone transforms are viable in Python (and were fully coded). What wasn’t possible/feasible in terms of speed were the advanced bone interactions and the widget system I had designed on paper. This is where the wiggly-widgets branch and some additional underlying C code come into play.

Use bgl to create ‘outlines’ for every bone, and manipulate on click. Similar to retopoflows custom manipulator for its polystrips. I’m actually going to look into this. Maybe post a proof of concept soon.