Sculpt/retopo/uv/rig/animation and render made with Blender

Textures made with substance painter

Here’s some renders, turntable and Sketchfab embed

Turntable

Sketchfab

Cycles Render

here’s a little bonus:

72 Likes

Nice one. It all looks very realistic, although the ball of dung could use some more motion when the beatle is climbing on it I think. Cool project.

Looks so realistic some motion blur on the ball when the bettle is moving it would make it look so good. Awesome model how long did it take you to make it. I can imagine it must be difficult to make the beetle.

This looks really good, well done.
Have you seen Varipon’s amazing bio-mechanical study of the dung beatle? it is well worth checking out if not.

1 Like

Thank you! I tried different ball motion, but nothing satisfied me, so I decided not to put any movement!

Thanks! There is motion blur on my video, it’s hard to get something perfect! It took me about a month to do this project., maybe a bit more, I did everything from scratch!

1 Like

This is a very cool project indeed! I didn’t see it, thanks for sharing it!

Very nice!
:+1:

1 Like

That’s impressive

1 Like

Thank you!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Awesome, Thank you so much Bart! Have a great weekend too!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

Wow, I love the shells moving - it looks fantastic! Wow!

The beetle need hairs.

This looks great! Well done!!

Brought back memories of a project I did years ago with dung beetles. Quite an inverse kinematic challenge, isn’t it? You did a good job with the reversing and the forward movement up the ball. Very realistic. I stuck with a basic reverse walk cycle, but it worked well enough for the story I guess.

Here’s my attempt if you’re interested: https://vimeo.com/42755956

Hi everyone,

Here is the “Behind the Scenes” article for this stunning artwork!

Do check out this article, written by the artist himself. It describes the process of making the artwork step by step and provides insight to insect-modeling in Blender.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn

1 Like