Animated light rays

Was trying to figure out how to do this. in an underwater scene there are caustics (i did those) adding light rays (halo lighting) would look good. I did that and it looks okay but animating the light rays would look great. I am not sure how to animate it. I want the light rays to look like it is shimmering. Any ideas?

digiman

Halos don’t work in the game engine. You’ll have to use several meshes with partial transparency.

Also, I assume you’re meaning something like this?

Exactly like that. I already have static lights i can toggle but the animated ones look terrific. Give me some more detail on making them move like that or even an example blend if you have the time.
PS i like the way the video looks

digiman

The way I made those was having a subdivided plane with a bunch of holes in it rotate in front of a halo spotlight.

Unfortunately, you cannot use halos in the game engine.

You’ll have to make several prisms set to shadeless and with a material that is semi-transparent.

Then you can add an always sensor that plays the IPO.

Then you’ll have to add some rotation and scale to them. Take a look at this script. It creates random movement and you can specify details.

In the scripts window, under animation, there’s a bake constraints to IPO. After you do that, select each one and move it’s IPO just a little bit so they aren’t all the same.

I made a quick example. It’s not the best, so you might want to remake one yourself. Hope it’s helpful.

I haven’t found a good upload place yet for files that are bigger than 1MB. This one’s on megaupload. Do you know the best site to upload files?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YNDUBTPO

I haven’t found a good upload place yet for files that are bigger than 1MB. This one’s on megaupload. Do you know the best site to upload files?

http://pasteall.org/blend/

Why do you need another place to upload the link worked fine and i see what you did I have to atke a close look at it so i can make one that will fit my needs. Thank you for taking the time to make the blend.

digiman

Did you see my last post? The link is there.