animated light rotates around an object?

(rusmannx) #1

imagine you have a pedestal, and you want a light to circle around in a nice circular path (i’m using a sun).
any idea how to animate this? the light itself needs to revolve around the
pedestal, and the direction of the sun needs to point at the pedestal the whole time.
i tried selecting the light along with a circle i made and rotating it around the circles origin (which is at the pedestal) but that doesn’t work.

(indigomonkey) #2

Make a bezier circle, then give the lamp a ‘track to’ constraint. The lamp will make a circuit of the circle in 100 frames, but you can change this in the properties in the dupliframes section, I believe.
To make sure the lamp follows the circle exactly and is not offset from it, remove all location data for the lamp by pressing Alt-G (I think that’s right!).
Hope that helps.

(GreyBeard) #3

Select your sun lamp and an object you always want the sun to point at and do ctrl-t and select track to constraint. Then when you move your lamp it should always point at the object. Add a curve bezier circle for your path and postion/scale it as requird. Parent (ctrl-p) the lamp to the cirlce with follow path. Press alt-o with the lamp selected to snap the lanp to the path. Alt-a to animate in 3d window.

example blend:
http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/ex100.blend

GreyBeard

edit: beaten to the reply again :wink:

(rusmannx) #4

BRILLIANT!
thank you so much. this worked perfectly!

(rusmannx) #5

nother problem.
i’m trying to get it to do a complete circle in 60 frames.
i see there is ‘dupend’ set to 100, and it takes me 100 frames to complete the circle, but changing this number to 60 seems to have no effect.

(jaycun) #6

You need to go to your curve settings. Change the PathLen number . . . (stands for Path Length) Or you could use a speed ipo(though not sure how)

(rusmannx) #7

found the pathlen,
it worked.
thanks.

(jaycun) #8

you’re welcome :slight_smile: