Animated Logo

Hi,

I’d be very interested in feedback on this animated logo for a small independent film company.

http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/dap.avi

The sound will include a few notes of Ennio Morricone-esque gunslinger music, then a voice shouting “Action!” and the whirring of the camera, and then three gunshots to go with the the spotlights on the words at the end.

It’s intentionally cartoony, of course, and I don’t plan to do any further modeling on the characters (aside from maybe eyebrows…). Likewise, the background needs to be very simple, although I’m not sure if I’m satisfied with it being as simple (nothing) as it is… Suggestions for what to do with the background are welcome.

I already intend to fix a few things. The camera needs to be lattice deformed to make it look like it’s popping out of a small pocket in a cartoony way. Right now it’s not deformed at all and it looks like it’s embedded in the cowboy’s chest. Also there are a few frames where his arm movements are weird.

Thanks for comments.

T

A few small suggestions, at the end, have the lights fade in simultaneously. Right now it looks like two are on and then a third is switched on as if someone forgot. I think it would look good if all three faded in. Also, a good background would help. Maybe something cliche like an old village street. The camera seems to drawl at a few points in the rotation too, maybe that’s intentional though. I really think it looks great though. Very clever idea.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I was thinking maybe an old western street also, maybe done in sort of shadeless flat outlines or something.

The lights are actually all three slightly separate, the first two quicker than the third… the idea is that they will correspond to gunshot sounds, kind of as if holes are being shot in some surface, letting light through. This should be a lot more clear when the sound is synced to them, I think.

t

This is a clever animation, nicely done.
The only thing that I could possibly find to comment on is the movements of the left cowboy when he draws the pistols. If you could smooth out the movements, or exaggerate them a little bit more, I think it might really help your animation. Other than that, it’s a cool logo.

too long, the beginning is too long,
the switch in the story line is cool, but i would not
let the left one draw his weapons because everybody
would expect that, i would rather let him do something different,

the idea with the cam is cool, its funny it will make people laugh
and weak them up and thus drawing their attention to it because their
viewing habits are broken.

also i would try to maybe render that hole thing into b/w silouette
only, as a logo for cd/ci or make a transition between 3d look and 2d look
as you so for example from many film houses.

claas

Thanks, everybody for the feedback.

The only thing that I could possibly find to comment on is the movements of the left cowboy when he draws the pistols. If you could smooth out the movements, or exaggerate them a little bit more, I think it might really help your animation.

I’ll see what I can do about that. Would you say it was the hands or the feet that seemed most awkward? The physics is probably pretty wrong on his leap, and his fingers got a little out of control for a few frames drawing the gun. I’ll look into tightening it up.

too long, the beginning is too long,

Probably right. I think the camera is moving around a little fast too, so I’ll see about simplifying and shortening the opening camera movements to something brief and hopefully sufficiently dramatic.

I’ll think about other possibilities for the left cowboy too.

I think you’re definitely right about making a solid silhouette render for a kind of label type of still logo. I’ll try a couple versions, maybe one with just the camera guy and one with the two back to back… By the way, how would one go about rendering a black and white silhouette?

t

dont worry your start is good, thats normal that step by step you increase the pieces. thats what we did when we made openders and closers for a private tv channel in germany. you just need to develop ideas, they just dont come.

claas