Animating a jelly like creature

Hey guys,

I’m looking to animate a jelly/blob like creature, so obviously it will need to move in an unusual way, I have a some understanding of rigging and animating, but I have no idea how to do such an unusual creature. How to get the skin to move, bend, mutate etc.

I found this video which is a fairly close approximation to what I was thinking of, and though it kind of “rolls” in a way which I like, I also want it to be able to bounce and therefore deform in a way that would be suitable for such I creature.

As I said I’ve got some experience animating but generally I’m more focused on modelling, so I don’t even really know where to start with such a thing.

Thanks for any help.

If I were to make something like the video you’ve send I would try to do the whole creature with metaballs. It’s going to be troublesome to make the textures deform properly without any UV, but maybe you can do a node setup with drivers that could immitate rolling of the texture along with the character.

1 Like

Dziendobry Jerzy, thanks for your reply.

Honestly, I would have no idea how to do that, or even what that is. :smiley:

Regarding the texture I was going to use procedural texture with some scattering and glitter effect. So I’m hoping I wont get too much trouble from the texturing.

Regarding metaballs, I’ve not used them much and the creature is actually a little more complicated than the one in the video I posted, mine has a neck, head, eye and few other little elements. Those other elements I can animate in the traditional way they aren’t a problem. It’s only the “body” that I’m not sure about.