animating a swinging chain

I’ve been playing around with a chain, meant to be used as a hand-held weapon. (um, a digital one, not a real one.) My question: after messing with track-to’s and constraints and all manner of stuff, the simple bone-IK pictured below seems to do it best, but is there a more elegant way to do this? Its slightly more complicated than animating a rope due to the link structure of a chain. And the bone setup doesn’t allow for a link to slip back over another. (I don’t really mind that limition, though.)

Attachments

Maybe you could try making your chain follow a curve, and putting a “softbody” effect on the curve.

I’m no expert, so I don’t think I could help you much with a “how to”, but have a search on those subjects and see if it works :slight_smile:

Well, the problem with the curve deform/softbody is that the chain links deform. One thing that was promising, in a similar fashion, was using a curve with the vertices parenting the links, but I found that it was as much work to set up as the bones, and the links disengaged from each other…so I then had to parent them to each other…and on and on.

But thanks for your input…I was afraid my post would go into the “unanswered” pile!:slight_smile:

Perhaps you could make it a rigid body physics sim. (Don’t ask me how.)

There was a post about doing a physics sim a while back, but the problem is that the vertices need to be so dense for the links to remain together, that it kills the render-time for an animation. (As in, setting the faces to “collision”) But that’s for the game engine…I’m not sure outside of the game engine if that’s something that can be done…:confused: