Animating by path

(DAK) #1

A while earlier I was making a funy shapped farris wheel. I got my buckets to dumplicate themselves along a curve. Now I want to animate these buckets, just by moving them using the same curve as a path.
I believe it’s a few simple clicks here and there but tried experimenting and can not get it to work. Do I need to use keyframes for curves? Woudln’t this defeat the point of using a curve for an animation path in the first place?
I think there was a tutorial on this at NaN a while ago but we will never see it again. :x

(theeth) #2

Basicly, you create a path animation by extruding a Curve - Path object, and tweaking the curve IPO to suits your needs. Then, you parent the object you want to animate to the curve. Now, if you want more than one object (wagons, in your case), and want they to be one behind another, you should just copy the wagons, and modify the TimeOffsets (in the Animation Button), so that they start just behind the other.

If that wasn’t clear enough, I can do a step by step explanation.

Martin

(DAK) #3

A step by step would be very helpful. I think best of all, would be another tutorial to replace the one we lost. It was just priceless.

(theeth) #4

Ok, here goes:

• Add a Curve Path (Add -> Curve -> Path)
  • edit the Path like you want. You should make the curve cyclic (Ckey)
  • Go to the IPO window, and select the Curve IPOs button.
  • Change the interpolation mode to Cyclic (the wavy button)
  • Create your wagon
  • Parent the wagon to the Path (Ctrl-P)
  • Clear the origin of the wagon, so it sits on the path (Alt-O)
  • Select the Path, go to the Animation Buttons and turn Curve Follow on
  • Make a linked copy of the wagon (Alt-D)
  • Still in the Animation Buttons, play with the TimeOffset value, until the new wagon sits behind the first one.
  • Repeat the last 2 steps as needed

Whenever you edit the Speed IPO of a Path, the value correspond to the fraction of the path that is done. So, a value of 0.25 means that the object already has gone through one fourth of the path.

I hope that helps.

Martin

(DAK) #5

I tried those steps and it didnt work. But I will keep on tinkering with it. The alt-O command is something I have never seen before in any tutorial.

(theeth) #6

I’ll make an example file and put it online.

Martin