Animating chain

Hi everyone,
I’m new to rigging and working with bones. I’m trying to animate this chain, i want it to move along the x axis but keep the low part to stay on the ground.

I put an IK constraint to the tip of the bone on the upper part and tried keyframing the chain length but it just didn’t work, the whole thing just goes in a different direction when i move it. I’m thinking about adding limit location constraint on the other bones but I think there must be some other way that can make the whole thing automatically behave the way i want it. Any suggestions?

I’m not 100% confident on what you’re after, but what you have looks like you want some kind of spline IK setup. With spline IK, you create a curve object, and the bones follow the curve defined by that object:

In that image, the lead bone can be a non-deforming bone; its only role is to position the rest of the chain along the curve.

If that’s what you’re after, spline IK is the thing to play with and read about.

1 Like

Hi, you can also use Array+curve modifier instead of bones to animate a chain.
https://youtu.be/hc3WF3vrc38
Here is a quick example:

1 Like

The IK will ignore them

1 Like

Hello everyone! thank you so much for your kind responses. I’m sorry i didn’t make myself clear. It took awhile to search because I don’t know the name of the type of the chain but I finally found this video (and i think it’s really cool), it supposed to move just like the black one on the machine: https://youtu.be/4VnistB9LC8?t=32

I figure I can’t work with curve because otherwise the chain gonna stay in that fixed location and as you can see in the video the location is different each time the chain moves. Also I tried that array modifier and it will be really helpful for longer chains but my chain have it’s own head and tail at each of its ends so I won’t be using it for now.

I think this modified file using curve and array dose what you want: array_curve1.blend (781.6 KB)
If you animate the curve its like in the example one end stay in position, if you animate the chain it moves both ends round.

2 Likes

Wow I never thought about animating the curve, that’s much simpler solution than what I have in mind. Million thanks!

2 Likes