Animating skinned curves

Hi all,

I’m using bezier curves stroked with a circle to create tubing in a current mini-project of mine. However, I’d like my character to fall a bit and for the cables to animate, and I don’t want to be using armatures. for each cable.

Demo image:
http://ministryofdoom.org/cloud/files/brainchild1.png

Is there a way to
a) animate points on a bezier path so that the cables can thrash about a bit?
b) cap off the end of a bezier path which has been stroked with another curve circle? Right now the ends are open.
c) attach a mesh object to the end of a bezier curve, or to a point on a curve, so that it animates with the curve as it moves?

Thanks in advance, and if I was using the wrong words in my searches for info in other places, I apologize.

Hi!

a) Yes, search Google for “Blender RVK” or “Blender vertex keys”

b) I’m not sure what exactly you mean

c) Yes. Search google for “Blender Vertex parent”, or uhm… just select the child, shift-select the Object that contains the parent vertices, go into edit mode, select the vertices, and hit ctrl-p, choose vertex parent.

(You need SEVERAL vertices for this to work correctly, as it’s impossible to derive a correct rotation from a single vertex.)

a) Thanks, intrr! I’ll try the RVK’s. I didn’t know they could be used on curves.

b) If you make a curve and then use another curve/circle to make the curve into a rail or cable or something, the ends of the rail are left open. Is there a way to close them off, is what I meant.

c) Vertex parent would work just fine if I converted the curves to meshes, but that’s exactly what I don’t want to do. What of parenting, say, an electric plug to the end of a bezier curve cable, and having it move with that end?

In Object Mode select the mesh then the curve, Tab the curve into edit mode and select the knot you want to use as vertparent. Ctrl-P and click Vertex Parent.

%<

Fligh %: Didn’t his answer imply that he tried that (because I suggested it just before) and that it doesn’t work for curves?

Either he didn’t try, or you didn’t read :wink:

Gee, I don’t know. I couldn’t read his mind since he was asleep at the wheel.

Vertex parent would work just fine if I converted the curves to meshes, but that’s exactly what I don’t want to do.

But good news: I found a .blend of mine that has a mesh vertparented to a bezier curve from 2.23 and I can recreate it in 2.33. I’m sure you could too!

%<