Animating solid, movable parts

Hi there.

This is my first post, but I’d like to unceremoneously go right ahead and ask my question, lest I waste your time ;).

I want to animate solid, movable parts. In this particular case, It’s a cupboard door, but I’m sure it’ll come up plenty of times in the future. I tried making the body and the door seperately, join the meshes and tie the (linked) vertices of the door to an armature - and sure enough, it didn’t work. The problem is twofold: 1) the armature deforms not only the linked vertices and 2) the deformation (rotation) diminishes with distance.

Both of those are propably intended behaviour. If I knew how to influence that behaviour (if at all possible), I could solve my problem on my own, but I don’t.

Then again, there’s propably a better way to do what I intend, so if anybody can point me to a nice tutorial of this kind of stuff, I’d appreciate it.

That’s it, and thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Having the Door as its own object would be better. If you carefully place the Center point of the door object at the hinge side, you can simply animate the rotation of the object itself without need for an armature. Here is a Blend file with a simple cabinet with a moving door. The center point of the door is aligned with the hinges. So the door pivots where it should using a simply Rotation.

Hinge.blend (48.9 KB)

Thanks. That’s exactly what I did. I guess the rigid body joint constraint is meant to do the stuff I meant, so I’m gonna read up on that.

Are there any examples where armatures are good for anything that’s not a soft body?

Soft body is specific blender jargon – it’s a modifier that can be added to a mesh to make it act like jello. I don’t think that’s what you had in mind. The terms in general use are organic and hard surface, meaning living things and machinery.

To answer the question I think you meant to ask, yes, armatures are useful for hard surface models, especially those things that rotate and move, like lawnmowers or pistons turning railroad engine wheels. Machinery with linkages or hydraulics. Especially when they don’t move in straight lines.

It’s often possible to rig a hard surface thing by building it of separate objects and using object animation and constraints instead of armatures and bones. Sometimes it’s easier than using bones, sometimes not.

In any event, I’ve attached a counterpart to DichotomyMatt’s object animation, which is a simple door with a single bone armature, called bone, and a single vertex group, also called bone, that consists of the vertices in the door. In pose mode, the door can be rotated around a virtual hinge, it can also be used as a sliding door with no modifications, by translating along the y axis instead of rotating around the z axis.

Attachments

Door bone.blend (184 KB)

Sorry to bump the thread but this one is just perfect for my question

How can i open a door like the one of Bender on it’s belly?

I am actually making a model of bender, and i can’t find out how to animate it’s door.

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=benderdfsdfseh4.jpg

picture of the model