Animating Sprites in Game Engine

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how to make an animating sprite in blender 2.5?

Basically what I want is to be able to have an image sequence play on the surface of a plane. I know this was possible in previous versions but I can’t figure out how to do it with the new interface.

I don’t want to use the video texture plugin as I want to preserve transparency in a .png image. Anyone know how to achieve this?

The most efficient way that I can think of:

• Create a single texture that contains all relevant sprites (much like a texture font).
  • Move the texture coordinates with python, to create the illusion of sprite animation.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. The dialog shows up in the image properties sidebar but it only shows up when you are in “Blender Game” mode. I was looking for it in “Blender Render” mode so I couldn’t find it. Is fool…

Original Reply

Well there’s a way of doing it without python or logic bricks at all. It’s done by accessing the “realtime properties” dialogue in the UV/Texture window.

The method for doing it in 2.4x is shown in this video: (Skip to the 23 min mark)
http://www.yofrankie.org/tutorial-animated-normal-maps/

And I know that the functionality still works in 2.5 because if I make a .blend with an animating texture in 2.4x and load it in 2.5 it functions normally. I would really prefer to just use the texture’s realtime properties for this but I can’t find the dialog in 2.5 :frowning:

I’ve attached a blend that has a simple animating sprite to show what I mean

Attachments

animating_Stickman.blend (293 KB)