Animating Texture Channels

It’s been a while since I’ve really worked hard in Blender, but I’m back at it with another fairly simple project, but I have a question.

I have a model of the earth. I have multiple texture channels for various elements. One of the land, one for the normal map of the land, one for the specularity of the earth’s surface and finally one with the water.

The texture with the water is just a .png with an alpha channel. Blue water where I want water, transparency to see the land where I don’t. My land texture is land everywhere, even where the ocean is, so that if you remove the water texture the earth looks completely dry and desolate. My goal is to animate all the water disappearing on earth.

Right now I’m not even working on my ultimate goal which is to make it look like the water receeds to the deepest parts until all the water disappears. Right now, all I want to do is have the water fade away.

Below is a simple screenshot of my setup. You can see the water texture is on the top (bottom).

Now, if I render the image right now, there’s water. If I move the Col slider from 1.000 to 0.000, that channel disappears, just like I want it to.

But for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to save the values of that slider as an IPO and animate it.

If you need any more info, or have a better suggestion for a way to do this, please let me know!

-blazer003

Attachments

In your IPO window, select “Material” type instead of the default “Object”. The “Color” channel is at the bottom of the list where you see R, G, B, SpecR …

Move your mouse over the button window and press the I-Key. Choose “All mapping”. Or open an ipo window and change to the material ipos.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Ipo_Types

There you can select the col-channel with left click, and insert ipo keys with ctrl-lmb. Watch the little number next to the ipo-type drow down menue. The 0 is for the first texture channel, so you need cannel number 4.

Ah. Thank you very much both of you, but Soylent Green has the correct answer. I had also tried what you suggested bupla before I came here, but that only removed all texture mapping (removing the overall RGB effect of all the textures).

I also had locked all mapping, however, as Saylent suggested I didn’t see any IPOs being created, but that was because I hadn’t changed the channel at the bottom.

For some reason I was thinking that the number at the bottom would change the Material Channel (when you have multiple materials applied to one object) but if I’d have thought about it I would have reallized that each material would have it’s own Material IPO block, so that must be talking about texture channels. I knew there had to be a way.

Thanks!

-Blazer003

Indeed, thanks for the correction Soylent Green.