animation and constraints - what should I do here?

I’ve been reading on the subject, but I’ve come across a problem.

I’m creating models for a game, so I need to delete excess null and IK bones before exporting. I followed a tutorial for using constraints to animate a model, but after i had gone through the motions and set the keys, i deleted the the constraints and extra bones i used for animating and all my animations disappeared. I thought that once i set the keys, the pose would stay in place when i removed the constraints.

So i guess what I’m saying is that i’m looking for a way to create on-the-fly constraints and remove them after i’ve set the pose for a certain frame. Is there any way to do that?

after you bake the animation the constraints and extra bones can be removed

before that if you remove the extra bones you have completely lost the specification of the pose [in the case of an ik constraint, removing the null bone makes the chain become the default pose…]

what exporter do you use? probably it could be easily modified to ignore bones whose name starts with “IK” or something like that. i think every game format exporter should provide such options by default. :slight_smile:

I’m using a directx exporter. That method works though. I have to pose, bake, delete the object and constraints i created, copy the pose from the baked action to the original action, then remove the action.bake. thanks :smiley: