Animation and frames

How many frames of animation should I do for animation to get nice results?

say what??

I have plans to work on a project, and I am trying to decide how many frames per second I want for the animation.

Normally film is 24 frames/sec. and TV (PAL) is 25 frames/sec.
Hand drawn animation is normally done on 15 frames/sec.

A lot of info on this can be found on the Web. :wink:

Usually you set your output framerate at 24 frames per seconds. there are some other cases like 30 frames per sonconds but that’s not that important. Just set it to 24 frames per seconds, btw it’s the default value.

However it doesn’t have anything to do with the actual keyframes that you put into your animation.
In the 3D animation process. the animation is often the same as the output.
meaning that for every frame, there’s a different pose on the screen. That’s called animating on 1.
another solution is to change the pose only every two frames, and that’s called animating on 2.
In that case your animation is more like 12 frames per seconds. but that doesn’t mean that you must change your framerate to 12 frames per seconds. Most of the time, the camera work is always at 24 frames per seconds even if the animation is at 12 frames per seconds. Though the difference between the character framerate and the camera framerate creates new issues. especially in 3D environment.

Plus animating on 2 in a 3D program is a pain sometimes. In 2D you’re always forced to draw the inbetweens by yourself so if you want your animation to be refreshed at 12 frames per seconds you just need to draw a new pose every twio frames.
while in the 3D software, interpolation are made automatically. and the interpolation poses refresh with the framerate of the project. so at 24 frames per seconds. Meaning that you’ll have to do some manual manipulations on your keyframes to emulate a 12 frames per seconds refresh.

There’s another technique that consists in a non constant framerate. meaning that you refresh your pose whenever you want. basically you do only your key poses, breakdown poses and some rare actual inbetweens when you really need it. with that style of animation you can set your interpolation mode to constant on every keyframe.

One general advice I’d like to give you is that you choose the number of drawings you make(or the number of 3D pose), depending on the ammount of attention you can give to every pose. The trap would be to think that interpolation are automatic and that you don’t have to spend time on it. that’s not true. If you want it to look good you’ll have to make some modifications on it in some point. It’s even more important in 2D where you need to draw every single inbetween from scratch.
It’s much better to have two good poses with no inbetween at all rather than 24 drawings inbetween two shitty poses. So. if you have the time (or money) to make 4 poses as an example. you’d better make 4 poses with the time you have instead of rushing the 4 poses and draw it bad to save time the the inbetweens.

what’s actually sad is that most american and european shows used the bad method. ugly as shit keyframes and a lot of inbetween drawings. it’s a super combo of bad decisions. It looks bad and it’s more expensive. Nowadays 3D animation and auto tween 2d softwares like toon boom or animate brought some new animation techniques and style to save time and money while delivering quite good results.
It’s still looks shitty to a certain extent but it’s different.
Hell, I should make a video on it because there’s so much to discuss and it’s all super interesting.