Animation Export Problems (transformation?)

Hi,
my first post here.
I made some animation in this file:
http://www.glbasic.com/beta/kitty.blend
However, when I export, some parts are uhm… damaged.
I remember that problem had to do with “Transformation/Clear+Apply/Apply Size+Rotation” somewhere. But when I play with it I totally mess everything up.
Can someone, please help me reseting the transformation, so that my vertex based export (MD2, basically) might work?
And, can you please, please explain to me, why this happens!?

Thx a lot!

Your armature (in Object Mode) is rotated 90 degrees along the X and Y axis while your mesh is not . Just select your armature in Object Mode and apply the the scale and rotation with Ctrl-A … which will make your mesh flip 90 degrees to the armature … just unparent it and then reparent it … you won’t have to recreate vertex groups etc. since you already have them in your mesh … the animation on the other hand are shot since you have keyed them with the armature’s local orientation being not properly set in the first place …

You have to apply/set the armature’s orientation before you starting keying because the keys (Loc,Rot, and even Scale to some extent) are calculated relative to the armature orientation . Because when you are not aware that the orientation isn’t set properly you will begin to animate/key your armature as though it is set … which produces keys that are not correct other then in the orientation you currently have it in …

Though if you are going to export this out you might want to just get rid of the rotation along the Y axis and leave the rotation around the X alone … most likely the MD2 format uses the Y as the up axis while Blender uses the Z …

Go into top view (numbpad 7), select the armature in Object Mode, hit N to bring up the transform properties subwindow to see exactly how the armature is oriented, then Alt-R to clear the rotation to see in the 3D view to visibly see the orientation . Go into front view (numbpad1) and rotate your armature 90 degrees . Go back to top view and apply the rotation with Ctrl-A … and you will see your animation will be … “broken” … you’ll just have to delete those keys/actions and reanimate (unfortunately you have quat curves which are very difficult to fix) …

If you need to use the numbpad viewport hotkeys then just rotate the armature 90 degrees along the X axis but do not apply the rotation, just do your animating and then before you export clear the rotation so that the armature will have the Y as its up axis like the format you are exporting to …

Hope this helps .

Thanks a lot. That worked for once.