Animation individual faces?

How can I insert keyframes that look at the individual faces, and not the object as a whole? I am trying to make a book animation, and in order to have the book open, I need to animate individual faces.

Many thankss.

DONT READ THIS

I just noticed someting, when I try to animate the object as a whole, there is no keyframe inserted into the timeline, what is up with that? I see it in the IPO curve editor, but nowhere else.
Strike that

I would build a rig for it and do some weight painting or whatever is needed to get the effect you’re looking for.

I don’t understand what you mean, could you elaborate?

Also I think you don’t totally understand the problem, the issue is I can animate each object of a scene idividually, but not the individual faces of the object. What if I want just one face to move, but not the whole thing, how do I do that?

I’ve attached a .blend of how you can use armatures to control geometry… there are many great tuts out there on the subject as well. Another possible method is to use shape keys, but there it will just morph the object from one shape to the other, where as using an armature lets you weight vertices individually and rotate them around the bone’s origin. For a book, I would say the first method of using an armature would be the best.:yes:

Good luck and keep me posted!

Attachments

Mesh_Help.blend (140 KB)

I did a test with a book where a bone controls the cover. The .blend is attached; hopefully it is helpful!

Attachments

Book_Cover.blend (160 KB)

Many Thanks!

One last question, how where you able to make the book so that only the red verticles (weight paint mode) where affected, when I duplicated this scenario and weight painted it the same way, the bone moved all the faces of the mesh. Why is this?

Thanks I’m still a nOOb

Make sure you parent the mesh to the armature, and choose “don’t create vertex groups.” Then put the armature in pose mode, the mesh in weight paint mode, then select each bone and paint individually. Try this and if the problem still persists, let me know!

~Renderer10

But when I do that, I can’t do any painting!

Try this:

-Open Blender
-Delete the cube
-Add a plane and subdivide it 3 or 4 times
-Exit editmode and add an armature
-Select the plane and add an Armature modifier to it. For the “Ob” box type the name of the armature(should be “Armature”), then deselect the “Envelopes” button.
-Put the armature in “Pose” mode, and the plane in “Weight Paint” mode.
-With the bone selected, deselect the “Soft” button in the “Paint” box in the “Editing”(F9) tab. Then paint something on the blue plane, return it to object mode, grab the bone(should still be in “Pose” mode) and hopefully the vertices you painted will be moved!

Note: This should work, but after typing this it occurred to me that maybe your armature wasn’t in pose mode the first time, and because the mesh was parented to it, the armature moved the whole thing. Armatures should always be in pose mode, so that you can move bones individually when you want their effect to work.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, but when I follow your instructions, I still am unabe to paint the vertices, here is my blend file if you want to take a look at it.

Attachments

weight.blend (133 KB)

I took your file, painted a little, presses the G key and it worked! I looked at your setup and it was perfect, so I don’t know what’s going wrong! Try painting a little, and then press G. The red should move and the blue should stay… keep me posted.

It’s my computer, I am using a mac ppc 10.4. I have had many problems with it and blender. Don’t know what it is, I’m looking at putting together my own and running linux on it.

Mac… :no: The only reason Pixar uses them is because Steve Jobs owns them…

I built my computer last summer when I was beginning to do some really CPU intensive stuff with Blender. I have an Intel quad core processor that shipped at 2.4 GHz, but I’ve overclocked it to 3.2 GHz and have an idle temp of around 30 C, so I could push it a lot farther. I threw away the CPU fan the instant I opened the box, and instead used an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO fan, and I bought a large motherboard to give it enough space. Before installing the fan though, I scraped off the heat-transfer gunk and used arctic silver instead. Each 2 GB stick of RAM has its own copper heat pipe for cooling purposes, so I’ve overclocked that too, and everything is stable. I have NVidia 8800 GT graphics, and overclocked it to 700 MHz. I run Windows XP PRO, so I do run up against the 2 GB per application limit that 32 bit OSes have, so 64 bit would be nice, but I haven’t done anything about that yet. This is just how I went about building something for speed… nowadays you can by quad core processors that have a factory clock speed of 4 GHz! Oh well, mine does what it needs to. I’d definitely encourage you to build your own system if that’s an option. As far as linux goes, I have the Adobe CS4 Master collection as well as a bunch of other windows apps that I would lose when switching over to linux. I don’t like the idea of installing linux inside of Windows as that tends to decrease HDD speed, and since I use Photoshop for all my texturing needs, I would have to do a lot of switching, because I’m a little wishy-washy about using gimp. But these are just my opinions…

Sorry for the double post…

how where you able to make the book so that only the red verticles (weight paint mode) where affected
Obviously the book example I uploaded earlier worked on your computer, so why isn’t anything working now? Did the “mesh_help.blend” I uploaded before the book work? Maybe try that again just for the heck of it and see if that works.