Animation Mentor's brand new free rig. Convert it to Blender?

Can anyone with Maya and Blender convert this rig into Blender:

http://www.animationmentor.com/free-maya-rig/

How do you suppose someone could do that?
Also, why is this being posted in Artwork > Animations?

Animation Mentor’s Terms and Conditions includes: You may not reverse engineer the Character. I suspect taking it apart in Maya and rebuilding it in Blender would qualify as reverse engineering.

Might make more sense to figure out what, if anything, it does that a rigify rig doesn’t do, then add those capablities to a rigify rig and publish that rig instead.

I don’t think so. How would they prove it was reverse engineered ? Plus, I recall there were a few rigs from Animation Mentor’s ported to Blender (unless I am mixing something up) in the past.

If you are concerned whether or not they could prove reverse engineering, then you think ‘porting’ or ‘converting’ a Maya rig into a Blender rig is reverse engineering.

Reverse engineering is the process of discovering the technological principles of a system through analysis of its structure, function, and operation. It often involves disassembling something (a computer program) and analyzing its components and workings in detail to support creation of a new program that does the same thing, without using or simply duplicating (without understanding) the original.
–from Wikipedia

I also recall Animation Mentors asking that a rigged character someone made that looked just like their ball with legs training rig be taken down as a copyright violation. Maybe that was the reason they wrote the ‘reverse engineering’ clause into their terms of use.

That’s pretty hard to prove. Desura does the same thing Steam does, yet, neither were products of reverse engineering. Many game engines do real-time rendering almost exactly the same way. Etc. Etc.

Animation Mentor could easily say that any rig that has IK/FK, IK/FK switch, stretchy limbs (which I am not interested in), etc. is a product of reverse engineering, because it functions the same way as many of their rigs.

It’s a rig. Rigify is an armature generator.

AM cannot really claim copyright to a ball with legs, (they didn’t invent it, it’s been a staple of animation courses for many years) but a specific humanoid character of their design is a different story. If, for example, you were to grab their rig, export the mesh and re-rig it in Blender with the same functionality. THAT would be a clear violation of their terms.

Also, why is this being posted in Artwork > Animations?

Why can’t I post it here? I am already lost with what sections of the forum I need to post questions :slight_smile:

Artwork forum for “Post your animations and show them to the world”
Support forums for “Questions & Answers about Blender Animation and Rigging.”
Moved to Support / Animation & Rigging

I know, that’s why I specified a rigify rig. A rig, produced using rigify.

If, for example, you were to grab their rig, export the mesh and re-rig it in Blender with the same functionality. THAT would be a clear violation of their terms.
Which is what motorsep seems to be proposing.

@motorsep: what is it about this new toy that you like? What features does it have that you want to see in a Blender rigged character? You say you aren’t interested in stretch, so what is it that is lighting your fire here?

I am in no way proposing exporting whole thing and then importing it into Blender.

I was asking to re-create same kind if rig, if possible. But I guess if besides dynamic squashing there is nothing interesting there, then there is no need.

The other thing is if someone did port it they wouldnt be able to post it up for everyone, must be kept private

You may not give or distribute Stewart or any modifications of Stewart to others (for example, a different outfit for Stewart)