Animation Nodes

Hi,

I’ve been watching AN tutorials all week and have completed a couple.
Without Zack Hixson’s videos it would be completely mysterious, and most is over my head, but I got the point.

I was curious about a couple of things …

Is it possible to trigger particles with AN? For example, the grid of flipping tiles. When each flipped to 180 degrees, it gives a little spray. I’ve seen a tut with AN manipulating outside attributes, but not particles. Individual start and end times? … is this possible?

Also, I tried the flipping tiles with a mesh as source, and was hoping to move the mesh more organically, but shape keys don’t seem to be supported. Is there a way to string them on curves? and if so, can the tiles geometry stretch/shrink to fit the curves.
I don’t know if that’s a totally crazy question, but had to ask.

Also, thanks Mr. Lucke, AM is to Blender, what Slight of Hand is to Magic!

I have just started using AN, i have been watching tutorials and came across a video Jacques Lucke made Cube Ocean and Polygon Effects https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19wRsmBIVBQ i was wondering how i could make the single cube follow the animation of the ocean no matter where it location is?, i have tried myself but i cant seem to figure it out, is this possible?

thanks in advance.

Hi, I have just started using AN i have been reading up and watching tutorials, one video was by Jacques Lucke “Cube Ocean and Polygon Effects” i was wondering is it possible to make just one cube copy the animation of the ocean no matter where the cube is placed on the ocean mesh? i have tried to figure it out myself but i just cant get it to work.

thanks in advance for any help.

I’ve looked at the Spreadsheet by Leon in depth. All the links cover dates from 2014 to 2015.

According to the release chart here:

That covers AN version 1.0 which since then, a good amount has either been deprecated, discarded, or updated (or for that matter, still work (as is) under the current version).

As a result, some of it just doesn’t translate well (or at all to the latest version, 2.0 - Jul 15, 2017.

The latest post, as I write, is #3104.

Somewhere in there, the updates, and corresponding posts are missing from Leon’s sheet.

I’d be interested in updating the sheet to reflect the updates.

It might take some time to sort through.

It would be useful to know of what has been discarded, replaced or updated relative to version 1.0.

That’s a LOT of work I know.

But, working through posts that get no further than version 1.0, may not be as useful as one that reflects posts up to the current version.

not sure what happened but i think i some how deleted my last post so i will ask the question again.

I have only recently started using AN i have been watching tutorials and trying to understand how it all works.

i was watching some of Jacques Lucke videos but and one video i was drawn to, that is Cube Ocean and Polygon Effects https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19wRsmBIVBQ so my question is;

can i make a single cube (or any object) copy the animation of the ocean modifier no matter where i place the cube on the ocean modifier?

thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: i figured out how to do it, i was amazed that i could make the waves control the rotation of suzanne so it actually looked like it was floating in the water.

what a amazing add-on thanks Jacques Lucke you sir are genius!

For fracturing ala cell, I really think you should consider Sverchok nodes.

It is possible to control fractures with AN as well but the live fracturing using SV nodes is quite convenient.

BLEND:
fracturing_013_2018_01_02_12_49.zip

Attachments

fracturing_013_2018_01_02_12_49.zip (340 KB)

Hi guys. I really want to start learning AN 2.0.
But why does not it want to run.
I deleted the old version of AN 1.5. It works.
I also reinstalled Python 3.5.3.
But AN 2 does not start.
Does anyone know what can be done in this case?

Karlis, this is hardcore!
Mind you share the blend file?
Best Regards

Hi tungee
Blender Spiderwebs Add-on
may be interesting.

As it says in the error you can compile Animation Nodes for the master branch Python version. More specific instructions here: https://github.com/JacquesLucke/animation_nodes/issues/815#issuecomment-345443491

Hi Folks,

by working on a dB calculation to realize a volume meter with a dB scale I found out, that the actual calculation works fine, but I havo to “normalize” the values delivered by by a factor (node marked with red squares) to get real dB readings.

To check this I generated a sound file with a 1kHz sine wave at levels of -30, -20, -10 and 0 dBs in a sequence.

I generally don’t have a problem to normalize the values:rolleyes:. But I want to know if I have to test this out at every sound file or if there is a formula to provide the normalized values for any sound file?:slight_smile:

(Another sound file needs a different factor. Normally you dont have a reference tone at your sounds.)

Here is the node tree I used:

Thanks, for link. But i using win

@blenderwillie, wouldn’t you use the largest/peak value of the file?

Me too, I could still compile it for the master branch python version.

@3pointEdit, using the peak would set the peak to 0dB (what is wanted in some cases). Here I want to display the volume that is indicated by a playback device (like Audacity or a DAW). Because many soundfiles are not peaked at 0dB this won’t work here.

At the TV station where I work, we settle on (IIRC) an accepted standard of -18db ref, so that all recordings should be against this setup value. As this is an arbitrary reference by the recordist you can’t actually know by looking at the level.

Youtube Video:

Blender + Animation Nodes Tutorial: C4D Style Mograph

At about the 6:30 mark, simple stuff. Addition of the Offset Matrix Node and move the sliders, the
text moves. Only mine isn’t.

heart_HA_2018_particles_blend.blend (2.04 MB)

So, what’s missing?

What am I doing wrong?

Update:

There’s a point at which he tests the Offset Matrix node and then adds in the Object Controller Falloff
node and connects it to an Empty.

I went as far as setting up the Empty as directed.

I played with axes all the way from X through to -Z. Nothing moved. (Directional)

Then I disconnected the node.

One line or two lines of text. Doesn’t matter.

My results are inconsistent.enderartists.org/

Since the tutorial relies pretty heavily on the Offset Matrix and Controller nodes, I’m dead in the water
at this point.

@unkerjay,

you made it really close.

Opening your blend file shows a problem in the AN toolbox. And in the AN tree node you see a red group output.

Just delete the red group output node , then choose “Animate-On” in the invoke subprogram node and connect the object and matrix connectors as shown in the tutorial.

To see the letters move, activate “Auto Execution” and “Always” in the AN toolbox and you’re done.

@BlenderWillie

Thanx.

Finally got everything connected accurately, tested, and working.

Sometimes, it just makes all the difference to have a different set of eyes on the problem.

Now, hopefully, it will pan out for the rest of the tutorial.

Otherwise, I’m just going to save it in stages so’s I can go back to what works.