Animation Nodes

add-ons

(donnydarko) #3161

nice :slight_smile: works all flawlessly here :slight_smile: would be cool to have some popular L System presets built in to the new node :wink:

(Jacques Lucke) #3162

Thanks for testing it.

Actually there are already some presets in the advanced settings of the L-System node. I’m just not yet sure how I should them more accessible. (e.g. should it create a new Create Text List node or what…?)

(JWise) #3163

For EVERYONE about to enjoy these updates to AN and the hope for compatibility with 2.8 may I nudge you with a reminder that Jacques accepts Patreon contributions.

Those of you who can afford something, even it’s just for a few months, send some gratitude his way so we can continue seeing his enthusiastic support of Animation Nodes.

Go to: https://www.patreon.com/jacqueslucke — and drop a few dollars or Euros in appreciation.

(Rockbard) #3164

Maybe just like a drop-down for different axioms? Similar to noise type choose in vector noise node.
And the last point of an option is a “custom” axiom for manual input.

(Jacques Lucke) #3165

Yes, that is how it will work in the end probably. The main problem is, what if someone wants to modify and play with the presets. That does not work then, so an extra button to create the Create Text List node is still necessary…

(Rockbard) #3166

Or you can add an “Edit” button right next to the preset drop down. This way we don’t even need the “custom” preset for manual input.

(liero) #3167

thanks for the 3.6 builds, working fine in windows and linux, it breaks some of the old files but that’s ok with me

the lsystem node is really fun to play with, circle mesh is great, more generators and high level nodes are welcome please… also curious about all the action nodes

btw, could a gauss or similar mode be added to the random and random vector nodes? they look too ‘square’ sometimes

(Blurfoot) #3168

Hi folks,
I’m new to this, so I hope I’m asking the correct way and in the correct place. I tried to scan this forum for answers, but couldn’t find help. Basically, I’m trying to take the node tree shown below and make a simple loop to keep me from having to create another list element each time I add a text block.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bfoot

(Lumpengnom) #3169

Hi,
here is the blend file, an image with explanation of the AN node tree and an explanation of the scene in text form as well as the material.

Note: When opening the file it will not look right. You first have to select the object “Suzanne” and turn its subdivision in the subdivision subsurface modifier to something higher ( I used 4). I had to turn it down because of file size issues with higher subdivision numbers when uploading the file. You will also have to plug some HDRI into the background shader or you will see a lot of pink.

The scene consists of:

• A source which in this case is a Suzanne which is hidden for the render
  • A target which is generated by AN and is the result you see in the rendering
  • An effector which controls how strong the single polygons of the Suzanne are influenced by AN
  • A Camera
  • A Depth of Field target which controls the DOF

The node tree in general works like this:

• AN collects the polygon corner positions (not the same as vertex position) of the source suzanne
  • AN transforms the polygons ( moves them outwards and scales them to zero)
  • The closer the effector is to a poly corner of the source suzanne the less the polygons are transformed
  • The closer the effector is to a poly corner of the source suzanne the whiter the vertex color gets

The material has an Attribute node with the name “Col” which is the Vertex Color name of the Target. The target needs this vertex color group or it will not work. A Mix Shader blends between the white emission shader in the beginning and the final blue shader in the end based on the Vertex Colors.

The Camera is set to have Depth of Field.

The source suzanne has a Subdivision Subsurface modifier which controls the resolution of the mesh. The higher the resolution the more stuff will fly around.

The Target uses a solidify modifier to give the single tiles some strength and a Subdivision Subsurface modifier to make the resulting blocks round.

I think thats it. The scene is lit by some random HDRI which i wont pack into the blend file because of the size.

AN_Aufloesen07.blend (1.13 MB)

(BlenderWillie) #3170

Well I think this could help:

Create a loop (here it’s named ScanTextBlocks) an add a Text Block List iterator.

Then add a Text List Generator Output.

Inside the loop (lower node row) transform your text block list into a text list.

Invoking the loop (upper node row) you feed in your text blocks via a list and join the text list you get from the loop into a single text to display.

(ubiq1er) #3171

Hi to all,
I’m quite new to the animation Nodes concepts, and tried to follow this recent tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzeP---dP1M&list=WL).
The point of the tutorial is to generate a bunch of random splines all from a first spline, and then add some moderate noise (in location) to each point from each generated spline. You get a nice cooked spaghettis effect.

Works ok, but then i tried to replace the script subprogram by a wiggle vector Node (see 6.20 in the video).
But i just don’t manage to get the vector wiggle randomness (seed) independant from the Getpoints Loop. My splines stay “parallel” whatever i try. My guess is i should try to generate a random integer outside of the GetPoints loop and plug the result into the seed of my vector wiggle, but i just don’t get it right. I’d appreciate any suggestion.

(RayVelcoro) #3172

@ Lumpengnom, thanks for this in-depth how-to, will jump right in to it!

(liero) #3173

ubiq1er didn’t check the video but usually you just use the ‘index’ value inside a loop as a seed -could also add a second value to it-

(ubiq1er) #3174

Thanks.
Yep i tried that, but it just seems that as it goes through my spline points, each GetPoints loop goes through the same index values (from 0 to 4) for each spline => The same index point from each spline gets the same seed number => The splines remain “parallel”.
So i did try to externalize the random number generation, and plug it back in the Vector Wiggle Seed Value. Doesn’t work either. I guess i’m missing something obvious.

(TH_JG) #3175

Try to put your GetSplinePoints into another subprogram, that will decide how many splines will be generated from the first one. Then you can use their index as wiggle seed.

P.S. This is how I’ve done setup that is doing exact the same, but I didn’t use any coding, just nodes. I’ve posted it earlier, you can check it here , and if you will still have questions, ask them!

(ubiq1er) #3176

Thank you for this idea.
It put me on the right path.
Got a very nice complementary explanation here, by Omar Ahmad : https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/105352/wiggle-vector-and-randomness-animations-nodes

(Jacques Lucke) #3177

@liero: The Random Vector node is able to create uniformly distributed normalized vectors at least. Implementing other distribution types should not be too hard.

(mateparaguai) #3178

Jacques Lucke, Thank you so much!!! Great WORK!!!
One of the best addon i ever seen!!!

(Jacques Lucke) #3179

That are some really nice animations! Thanks for sharing.

(mateparaguai) #3180

screencasts tutorials.
*.blend files in the vidoe description.