Animation Nodes

add-ons

(English is not my native language) #3201

Oh, good to know! because I failed a lot trying to achieve that with Blender particles system.

(Leon Cheung) #3202

IMHO it’s not that trivial. You can try to build the wall of blocks, and use “Is Inside Volume” node and “Object Visibility Output” node, to screen those needed. The “volume” can be defined by your font mesh. I didn’t get time to try, but it’s doable. Good luck.

(Lumpengnom) #3203

Wait, what am I missing. I am seenig a bunch of blocks that come from somewhere, move inward and finally form the word “PIXELS”.
What would youd need “Is Inside Volume” or “Object Visibility” for?
I´d simply build the final image by hand out of individual blocks and then offset each one of them with AN along either X,Y or Z with some randomness and then animate the offset towards zero (also with some ramdomnes).

(Leon Cheung) #3204

Hmm, maybe I misunderstand the word “trivial” with “tricky”. And I thought YAFU also asked about the AN way to build the blocks. It seems my mind went a bit too far. Apology.:slight_smile:

(English is not my native language) #3205

Thanks guys! Yes, what I wanted to know is if it was doable with AN, and then how complex the nodes should be.
Just that, but if any of you have time available and want to play, I would appreciate some example nodes or sample file :slight_smile:

(hak) #3206

Hi, just a quick question here. I’m trying to install the latest testbuild on my mac, but installing from the zip file didn’t work. Is it because the testbuilds are pc only?

(hak) #3207

Hi. I’m just curious. I’m trying to get the latest testbuild for an, but cannot seem to open it correctly. Is it because I’m on a mac?

(Lumpengnom) #3208

Here you go. There is some explanation in the frames around the nodes headers.

Basically you group all your boxes. AN gets all boxes as a list.

Then you divide the list into 3 lists with one third of all objects in each new list. You do this because you want to divide
your objects up evenly among x,y and z axis.

Then you create some random vectors and offset your objects. Be sure to use the initial transforms and not the objects transforms. To learn about initial transforms read up in the manual about “Object ID Key”.

The falloff is in this case controlled by time but you could just as easily control it by proximity to some other object or something like that.

zusammenfliegen.blend (842 KB)

(English is not my native language) #3209

Very kind of you for the detailed explanation and very neat sample file.
Thank you very much.

(jacobo) #3210

Hi;

I have a series of objects whose movements are driven by a curve that has a shapekey on it. The AN setup works fine except that the spline’s shape animation is computed after AN. How can I remedy this?

Thanx in advance;

AJ

(Blurfoot) #3211

I created a messaging simulator in AN. Still a bit rough around some edges. It reads from the text editor, and formats based on which side of the conversation. Moving an empty will reveal the next text message. Advancing the index goes to the next message. There are also some adjustments to the interface. Included is the blend file for examination.

Blend File

(amm) #3212

Probably to rebuild your shape keys in AN tree. AN tree in pic is what shape key (morph, blend shape or else) is doing in DCC apps. ‘Factor’ of ‘Vector Math > Scale’ node is weight of shape key. You can stack this setup in case of multiple targets (subtract base from target, scale result, add to previous final result).

(jacobo) #3213

Dear amm, thanx for taking the time to help out, much appreciated. It is somewhat unpractical to force-feed shapekeys of driving objects in AN through point based transition it seems, I do hope that jacques Lucke devises a way in the future the ability to directly feed shapekey deformations in AN.

Cheers;

AJ

(Lumpengnom) #3214

I just tried this with AN 2.1.2 and it works. The green object is controled by the curve which is animated by blending from one shape key to another.

(amm) #3215

Yeah at some point there should be decision about ‘status’ of AN inside Blender, is it a modifier or something else, together with getting the Cycles motion blur to work with meshes deformed by AN, getting the color overlay over numerical inputs driven by AN, so on.
However I’m not sure is it possible to get all that as add-on. That is, without patching the Blender and all problems related to patch. So perhaps the only proper way is integration of AN into official release, IMO.

Now, is it practical to use AN as complete replacement of shape keys… occasionally I remember how it worked in Softimage before and after ICE. In short, Softimage shape key system, even it was considered as state-of-art, shortly become a ‘prey’ of ICE trees similar to one I’ve posted.
In Blender, AN can do few things that shape key can’t (as far as I know), like getting the animated deformation from shape key target, per point animated weighting as well (or, ‘dynamic weight map’). Should be possible to get Blender absolute shape key, mix between relative and absolute, whatever. However, Blender shape key is probably faster to evaluate. I’d say, 1.5:1 or like in favor of AN, for now.

(jacobo) #3216

Lumpengnom, thanx for the info there, upon seeing that, I downloaded the beta version and will give it a whirl.

Agreed once again amm, it would be marvelous to have AN functioning via a modifier, but that could yield way too sophisticated for Blender’s core architecture, because as far as I know, it’s almost completely closed for any direct API access unless you would be willing to modify the source-code directly, hence the reason why there aren’t any addons out there that can create a custom modifier. So yeah, the only way would be a modified version of Blender, but then I’m wondering if that’ll be practical to use, as like myself, I don’t think there would be a whole lot of users out there that would wanna fire up a separate copy of Blender just to be able to use AN as a modifier. And to boot, I wouldn’t imagine Jacque Lucke would want to undertake that kind of a burden, which would be huge probably. So maybe AN 2.1 is a step in the right direction, who knows? :slight_smile:

(RayVelcoro) #3217

Hi all,

Again I am playing with the sound falloffs, here I have a simple scene with some grouped objects interacting with sound. However, my goal is to let the objects extrude along their normals by sound falloff. Is this possible? And if so, how can I accomplish it? Please have a look at the file;

test.blend (2.1 MB)

Thx!

(kald) #3218

Hi Everyone,
I’m very new to Animation Nodes. It’s an amazing tool. Thanks to blog or video post, I managed to extract data from a hexapod robot and apply it to my Blender model!

Now I wanted to get the lowest postion of the six feet. It’s work perfectily fine when I tested with simple key framed cubes. But on the simulation, I used cubes with Copy Position constraint. Each cube has his position contraint to one of the six foot. The problem is that it didn’t update over time. I can bake animations, but as I’ve got a lot of simulation datas to work on, I would like this to be automatic. Here’s a picture of my nodes

Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

(kald) #3219

I found the solution:
I used an Armature info node and get the matrix of the bones by element ID. The hardest part was to find the index for each bone, which from my knowledge is nowhere in blender interface :thinking:
Here the nodes:

(hetors) #3220

Hi, Blenderheads!, I am surprised at what the 2.0 animation nodes can do, unfortunately I can not install it on my Win7 operating system in Blender 2.79b, it appears with an error message with 4 possible reasons that in the previous version of this add-on it did not appear, what is strange is that in another computer with the same operating system and same Blender version works very well.
I’been watching a couple o people with the same problem, does anybody knows what would be de problem?
Greetings BHs