Animation Nodes

My lucky day :slight_smile: I had same problem today. Thanks @BlenderWillie and @guy_lateur :slight_smile:

Have you tried use Object Attribute Output? Limited, I know.

I have, but it sort of feels shady, like something I shouldnā€™t be doing, you know what I mean? :smiley: Itā€™s a rig I intend to use for a while so itā€™s bad enough it would rely on an addon at all.

I also had some previous experience with regular programming and had a hard time to get whatā€™s going on.
To me the hardest thing to get used to was that you donā€™t have to actively write or create loops. You just feed the data in process them and get them out of the loop. So you donā€™t have to care about the loop itself. But itā€™s a little confusing to understand all the available options in the predefined structures. Then youā€™ll also get, what the documentation is good for.
May be Iā€™ll manage it to make a little graphic with some basic loop options. There are also some tutorials from the ā€œThinking Penguinā€ that are quite instructive. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer to the tutorials by Thinking Penguin. I hadnā€™t seen those before, but they definitely seem worth checking out, so Iā€™ll do that as soon as I get the chance.

Maybe Iā€™m overthinking this all a little too much. Maybe thereā€™s just a couple of those things that you need to know, and then you can do everything you want. Still, I donā€™t like to use something (especially in programming) if I donā€™t understand how and why it works. Shouldā€™nt let that keep me from going on, of course.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, I do appreciate it!

maybe that way?
first think was that ā€˜moveā€™ needs direction (vector) but ā€˜rotationā€™ needs direction (vector) and point but solution seems to be simpler - just add converter from vector to euler

How are you guys running animation nodes on 2.8? Iā€™ve downloaded the 2.8 build and installed it. All the nodes are there but Iā€™m having trouble generating geometry.

I was trying to follow a tutorial and immediately hit a roadblock. https://youtu.be/C95mi7lKt8o?t=271

All I want to do here is copy an existing object by plugging the mesh input into the mesh output. Itā€™s super simple and Iā€™m following along exactly. I donā€™t think Iā€™m doing anything wrong here.

Iā€™ve had this problem on PC and Mac. Iā€™ve installed via both the usual method as well as just placing the folder in the appropriate place manually. Nothing I do seems to work.

try get AN from Cris Prenninger for Windows

Will do. Thanks! Iā€™m away from my PC right now but I imagine this will help.

I think i understand, feel similar when I see 3 nodes: Attributes, Script and Expression - you can do anything and nobody says how. :slight_smile:

Hi there,
I tried Blender 2.8 RC1 and the latest Beta build and experienced the following problem:

The AN Auto Execution function does not seem to work. Either with ā€œAlwaysā€ or ā€œTree/Frame/Property Changedā€ activated the Node Tree is NOT executed.

When I press ā€œExecute Node Treeā€ the Node Tree is executed.

Is this a Bug (either in Blender or AN) or do I have to modify any settings?

System is Win10 Home Version 1809, 64-bit

Blender Versions tested:
blender-2.80rc1-windows64 and Build blender-2.80-4a5e046c923f-win64

OK I found a solution.

I just downloaded Blender RC2
and installed this build of AN 2.1.4
https://blender.community/c/graphicall/Xdbbbc/

Now AN auto execution works again.

2 Likes

Im not sure who is maintain that Google Docs file. But the links are not working anymore. I think i was setup with the old website.

EDIT
@Leon_Cheung is the author i just read now

Now links are like this;

https://blenderartists.org/t/animation-nodes/622676/1188

I see all link in the doc have this method;

https://blenderartists.org/t/animation-nodes/622676#post2895918

I tried simple change to the current one with extra slash, but that doesnt work. Hope it can somehow be fixed. The file doesnt really have much description along with the links. WOuld be a shame if all of that is now gone.

Hello! Can somebody help me with this thing? I starting to learn AN. I wanted to achieve is group of objects landing on vertices of target object BUT without intersecting and colliding between objects of group which is they belong to. I heard about Vector Distance node but I donā€™t know how to implement it with the group.
Second thing that I can not understand is how to make boxes fly from start position. In video they near of sphere but I made Initial position. If I connect Matrix from Initial Transforms to Offset Matrix - boxes in right place on the ground but they doesnā€™t go to sphere. If I connect Matrix from Initial Transforms and Vertex Locations to Translations of Offset Matrix - boxes perfectly starts from 0 origin and raise to sphere But doesnā€™t connect to vertex.
I need to blend matrices somehow? I tried to use Animate Matrix, Combine Matrix - no result.

My target: Boxes should be placed at 0 world origin and slowly fly to sphere and connect to vertices without intersect each other.

Node Tree

I get this error when trying to enable the latest Graphicall build for Linux on 2.8 RC3:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/blender-2.80/2.80/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py", line 351, in enable
    mod = __import__(module_name)
  File "/home/geophom/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/animation_nodes/__init__.py", line 166, in <module>
    auto_load.init()
  File "/home/geophom/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/animation_nodes/auto_load.py", line 23, in init
    modules = get_all_submodules(Path(__file__).parent)
  File "/home/geophom/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/animation_nodes/auto_load.py", line 51, in get_all_submodules
    return list(iter_submodules(directory, directory.name))
  File "/home/geophom/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/animation_nodes/auto_load.py", line 55, in iter_submodules
    yield importlib.import_module("." + name, package_name)
  File "/opt/blender-2.80/2.80/python/lib/python3.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "/home/geophom/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/animation_nodes/data_structures/__init__.py", line 41, in <module>
    dataStructures = importDataStructures()
  File "/home/geophom/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/animation_nodes/data_structures/__init__.py", line 2, in importDataStructures
    from . struct import ANStruct
  File "/home/geophom/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/animation_nodes/data_structures/struct.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .. sockets.info import getCopyFunction
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'animation_nodes.sockets'

Any update news for 2.8 ?

AN is available for Blender 2.8x, https://github.com/JacquesLucke/animation_nodes/releases

3 Likes

Thank you, it works!

1 Like

Some quick test, trying to run animation nodes and eevee render simultaneously, and record video too. Looks stable (i3-8100, 1050Ti) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ7vGjJKZLg

You need to use Loop subprogram. Use vector list as iterator. This list should contain coordinates of all your boxes. Then apply all logic, that depends on Vector Distance node inside this subprogram.

Can you elaborate on how you are using these two nodes? I would go with Animate Matrix, just dont forget that you can animate start and end matrices too.