Animation Noise

I was following Mr_Rob’s Hillside tutorial (yes, you can tell I’ve been spendiing a lot of time with Blender, right? :slight_smile: and decided to animate the camera sweeping across the plain created. I notice that when I animate such a surface with an image map as is the case with this project, you see a lot of noise generated across the grass image map surface (in this example).

Why is this happenning? Why can’t it just animate as it should, displaying the image map on the object surface as you move either it and/or the camera around an object? What creates this noise? It’s very distracting.

Thanks.

what example

I’ve never heard of this tutorial … could you provide a link to it please?

The link is

http://blender.20fr.com/hills.html

Thanks ReeVee, I suppose I presumed too much in thinking everyone would be familiar with this tutorial.

I use this tutorial as an example. I’ve mapped image files before to various primitives, and whenever they and/or the camera is animated, I’ve see noise on the surface of the image map.

Turn off MipMap and use the Unified Render option in F10. One or the other might be enough to solve the problem. If your texture is UVMapped it always helps to VertexPaint them to ‘disguise’ the transitions between contiguous bright and dark pixels.

%<

>>Turn off MipMap and use the Unified Render option in F10. One or the other might be enough to solve the problem.<<

I did both and it still creates noise. I also tried turning off INTERPOLATE PIXELS as wellas reduced X&Y repeat down to1, but that didn’t help. Noise is generated anywhere ther eis a high degree of information on the image map.

>>If your texture is UVMapped it always helps to VertexPaint them to ‘disguise’ the transitions between contiguous bright and dark pixels…<<

I can only assume importing an image as a texture automatically would do this (UV map). I don’t yet understand those aspects of Blender, so I’m not sure. I just notice anytime I animate a surface and/or a camera with a surface that has an image map, noise is generated across the image map.

I also notice that if you apply noise to a surface, it will do the same. Now, that doesn’t surprise me too much, although it would seem you could “lock” noise so it wouldn’t do that. Not that anything I’ve done is remotely photorealistic, but I see this animated noise issue as an obvious problem if an animated photorealistic surface or surfaces were the goal. Even if it isn’t, it’s very distracting. There must be some way to keep it from happenning.

Tried the tutorial and moved a camera around and I don’t get the noise you are talking about. You must be making some basic mistake. One thing that comes to mind is that you have mistakenly duplicated your mesh and there is z fighting. In edit mode select all the verts and do a remove doubles, then in object mode move the ground mesh to see if there is a duplicate.

Another possibility and probably the most likely is that you don’t have osa pressed in the render buttons (This would definitely create noise).

I can’t really make any other suggestions without seeing the blend file.

GreyBeard

>>I can’t really make any other suggestions without seeing the blend file. <<

Is there somewhere my blend file can be posted?

You can send it to me at dotdotdashh (2 h’s) @yahoo.com. I can’t host it but I’ll look at it in the morning.

%<

Thanks for taking a look. I’ll send it off to you.