Animation Question

Hi, my question is: when making a 2-3 minute animation in Blender will I have to render every single frame and then process it through Video Editing which makes a video of it or is there another way to do it? Also for a high definition, high detail video is it true rendering/animating it can take days?

Thanks!

Under Render Property > Output, there is a choice for you to render the whole sequence out as a video output. I am not sure witch output method is working currently though. I normally render them out as a sets of image files And reassemble them in Video Editor with sound. It’s a simple process.

Like you say depending on HD rendering, each frame can take long time to render; 3 minute at 24 frames per second requires 4320 images to be rendered. If each frame takes 10 minute to render, that will take 720 hours or 30 days! You don’t get to see your film for 30 days if you are rending it out straight. If you don’t like the result of few sequences, it is going to take 30 more days to render out the change!

So when you render it out as an image files to be assembled, minor change can be done quickly. You only render out the scenes you don’t like and replace them.

Whaaa??? 30 days?? That’s retarded! If you pump up the frames per second it’ll take less time to render right? But are there any penalties if you do that?

On the contrary! If you increase the FPS, that makes more frames to render. It will take longer.

To speed up the process, you can only decrease the render time of the frames. There’s no way around having to render all the frames of a video. So use every possible tricks of the video games industry: low poly meshes with bump maps, light textures and/or baked textures, instantiation and/or particles, and what-not…

If you manage to reduce the render time to 1 minute, the example video of 3 minutes at 24 FPS will take only 72 hours to render. Only 3 days… :eyebrowlift:

http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/rendering-animations/

High definition, high detail video can take days on high end machines. On normal desktop PCs it can take weeks. That’s why animation studios build render farms: industrial park buildings full of thousands of computers, each merrily rendering frames that take an hour each. It seems like an hour per frame is some kind of informal limit, because whenever new graphics features start pushing renders beyond that, someone comes up with a new algorithm that lowers the time required back to an hour or so.

Five to ten minutes per frame seems to be the informal limit for homemade animations, and people sometimes recruit friends to help them render larger projects: four computers will finish that month long render in a week. You’ll also see a lot of discussion here about reducing render times, either by graphics tricks or upgraded hardware. That’s why those discussions are so interesting and important to animators.