Animation + Rigid body interaction problem (Gif included)

1. So, I’ve been playing around learning some animation and I wanted to create a scene where the character smashes something to pieces.

This is what I came up with: [Gfycat]

I used cell fracture addon to fracture the cube, applied rigid body both to the cube and the character. I also did somewhat extensive testing with a dropping ball and the fractured cube beforehand.

However I couldn’t get the characters moving fist interact with the cube. The character does interact with the copy of the cube when it’s stationary, which is shown as the other cube drops down.

I thought that I could after all animate an invisible object and sync it with the fist. That would definitely work, but is there a way to make the actual moving armature/mesh to interact with the objects?

I found this answer from blender stackexchange, but for some reason it didn’t work for me. What am I missing?

1. Also, I planned to animate a scene where the golem would smash another armature/mesh/character, how would you proceed to do it?

2. C&C for the animation etc. would also be greatly appreciated

(Credit for the awesome Golem)

Well, after all I did shape a cylinder, made it transparent and used that as a rigid body to simulate the fist. Kind of a “hack”, but I’m pretty happy with the end result.

For another matter, how would you guys go with simulating the impact with the sand? I’m currently playing around with the particle system so I´ll see what I end up with.