Animation Tutorial

This animation tutorial is from 1949, yet some still applies today.
internalmindscheme.xoompages.com/issue26.html

Pretty cool tutorial, you may want to consider adding the link to the tutorial list in this forum or posting a new topic in the new tutorials forum.

Thanks for sharing.

If you like that, you really should invest in The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams. It has some those techniques in it in addition to some improvements on examples like the bouncing ball as explained by Milt Kahl. And if you really want to round out your library, pick up The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas. Together those 2 books are the ultimate guides for animation and are even used by the guys at Animation Mentor.

It’s good someone got something from it. I thought it might be a bit elementary.

thanks for that link vertikite! very helpfull :slight_smile:

now we’re talking about 1949… when was the first (2D) animation actually made?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_animation

The first animated cartoon was created by frenchman Émile Reynaud, inventor of the praxinoscope, an animation system using loops of 12 pictures. On October 28, 1892 at Musée Grévin in Paris

That’s funny. I have that book. My mom bought it for me in the art store when I was 6. Needless to say, I was a bit young then to go about building my own light table, although I wanted to. I think I got my dad to build one, but I don’t think I ever used it…

I was home a while ago and realized that book was still there. The cover’s all ripped, but I’ve still got it. I was like, hey, there’s some useful information in here! The basics of animation haven’t changed a bit. Although keyframing sure has made things easier…

If the book was published in 1949 then it was in print for a long time, because it was the 70s that I got it. But that’s the book, no doubt about it.

What animation tutorial are you talking about. Is there a link - I can’t see it

cheers

stevebaz

It’s the Preston Blair book!!! - I bought it in 1958 when I did a stint at Biographic Cartoons and Dick Williams was down the road at TVC.

stevebaz

But where’s the tutorial?