Animation: Update: Very low score received.

I will as soon as I get over the sadness.

Enjoyed seeing the animation. Look forward to seeing the next one

What do you think about the score that it received? Do you think it was fair?

i actually loved your little film.

sure it was technically crude but i found that quite charming. pacing was a little slow in some of the shots but you can fix that.

it has a claymation kind of a feel to it. i wouldn’t try to fix the walk cycle - in fact i’d go the other way and make it even more choppy (without overdoing it). watch some of the pingu animations for inspiration.

you definitely have talent and vision. keep at it.

Thats hard to say without seeing the competition. And remember, whether or not a film is ‘good’ is always subjective to some degree. You never know what is going through the juries head. Maybe they were expecting Finding Nemo.

Most people who replied on this thread like your film. I got a kick out of it myself. So you definately did some things right. I suggest that you try and find out what criteria your film was judged by. That way you can learn from this experience and make your next film even better.

I know it sucks to lose. Especially when you’ve put so much effort into it. Take some consolation in the fact that your film made some people happy.

Wow, I am sad now at your low score! As a fellow student just out of high school I know how that can be. Your animation was very good. I did not see the competition so I don’t know what the judges were expecting, but your’s was good! Just keep at it!!!

Cheers,

Trebor

That’s the saddest part. I went to find criteria, and all I found was this:

The ARTS evaluation process consists of a holistic approach rather than a discrete scoring of various aspects of ability in a given art form. Each applicant receives a composite score between one and ten. Ten represents Finalists invited to Miami, nine represents Honorable Mention Award recipients, and eight represents Merit Award recipients.

So basically they can just judge it on how they are feeling about the DVD menu (in my case it was bad), or if the piano is out of tune (mine was, even though I had just paid $100 to tune it)

Sad.

What do you think about the score that it received? Do you think it was fair?[/quote]

I just wouldn’t spend too much time thinking about it. If it’s not possible to get specific feedback about it from the judges, there’s nothing more to do. Move on, make more animations.

What I liked about the animation was that it had a quirky and interesting story. Quite surreal / dreamlike and engaging - nothing beats a good story, not even stunning special effects. There were nice touches in some of the scenes (I especially liked the water from the tap) and it looked like you’d put a lot of effort into it.

So, lets see another one!

What do you think about the score that it received? Do you think it was fair?[/quote]

I just wouldn’t spend too much time thinking about it. If it’s not possible to get specific feedback about it from the judges, there’s nothing more to do. Move on, make more animations.

What I liked about the animation was that it had a quirky and interesting story. Quite surreal / dreamlike and engaging - nothing beats a good story, not even stunning special effects. There were nice touches in some of the scenes (I especially liked the water from the tap) and it looked like you’d put a lot of effort into it.

So, lets see another one![/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. I think one of the other problems that I had was that this was up against real films, with students who go to art schools and have access to cameras and actors. I think it was unrealistic for them to expect me to mimic the complexity of a story told by cameras and actors in this stage of my life, but who knows. I really have never met another person who animates 3d that is my age (in real life). Hopefully I will get better. I think that I need to start by messing with compositing to get the realism up and render time down. Is blender’s compositor any good? (I’ve only used it to put the little heart bubble in my movie)