animation workflow? - RVK & Armature

(AndyD) #1

I’m working on my first fully animated character and hope to use him for animation practise - walking, talking, everything - and I wondered how others go about animating where lip sync is involved.

I’m assuming that it would be easier to use a stationary model and do all, or nearly all, the RVK stuff like lip syncing first then do the armature animation afterwards? I assume this because it seems RVK moves are easier when you have a straight front and profile view to play with. If I did the armature moves first I’m guessing the RVK process would be more difficult because every frame will change angles?

My character is here:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53407

(solo_d) #2

You can do new RVK at any stage: simply put your armature in “pose mode” and you will get instantly (but temporarily) back to the undeformed character. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

(AndyD) #3

Do you mean “rest mode” and does this allow me to work frame by frame as I do the RVKs witohut affecting the armature animation?

(womball) #4

If i was animating I would get the bone movements blocked out, to get a basic animation structure set up. Than work with your RVK’s to get facial movement setup. And finally elaborate the overall bone movement so that you have body language set up. Not sure if this is the greatest work flow though.

(Fligh) #5

I wouldn’t worry; the RVK’s (shapes) are mesh-based and the animation is armature based. They should have nothing to do with each other. And you’re going to ‘blend’ them in the action and NLA windows later anyway.

%<

(solo_d) #6

Yep that is rest pose (“rest pos” button). You can apply the RVK yechniques explained in the animation RVK tutorial on blender manual whenever you want: here i suppose your armature’s bones are not affecting the face, but just the head (as you could drive facial expressions with bones as well)…